The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Itty Bitty alpine smallies, need help

I dont know why Im even fishing for these fish but the Trout rivers around me are running in flood stage and are still unsafe to wade. The nearest lake I can fish without a boat is just too far of a drive for an afternoon of fishing. This pond is about 3-4 miles from me and it is clear full of little bass and sun fish. Its close and its fun catching the little guys.

The water is still cold so they fish are hanging out right along shore going from about the surface down 2-3 feet they are deeper but arent very active that deep. I need a little fly that I can fish on the surface (quite a few were rising) or just below the surface about 8 inches. The larger bass are about 6 inches long smaller ones are no smaller than 4" (there may be bigger and smaller Im just making a guesstimate based on what Ive caught with the spinning rod.) The sun fish I am not targeting, they are smaller than 4", maybe about the size of my palm just not as tall but If they take the fly I guess they would be fun.

The fly cant have much of a tail because they are "short stroking" and only biting the tails or attacking my split shot and forgetting about the jigs/lures.

I will tie up some small buggers but not for a while because Im out of buggers, Ive already tied up a few weighted and non weighted green weenies to try but Im not sure how to fish them.

Anyone have any other small and simple flys?

EDIT: Oh and also, I wash dishes for a living, my hands have NO calouses at all specially finger tips, what is something I can do to make it so the little bass's teeth dont shred my thumb? The one little One I caught was a fiesty little devil and he flopped around, his teeth were like a cheese grater on my thumb. Ive tried grabbing behind their teeth a little deeper in their mouth but I can never hold on, as well as my biggest fear of fish is enacted, Im afraid they will shake and slip the hook making me hook myself. Would some medical tape or athletic tape solve this?

Last edited by flyfisher117; 05-09-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Itty Bitty alpine smallies, need help

Any bead head nymph should work for small SBs. Try a dark colored body with a gold bead . Stonefly nymph imitations also. Neoprene gloves should help you lip the bass just don't over handle them with the gloves on. Good luck maybe you'll find a bigun!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Umm...unless the fish have just been stocked, if there are little ones there are going to be bigger ones. You can have fun with the little ones with all manner of smaller flies, but I know I'd put on something a little bigger and see if I could find some bigger fish.

4-8 inch smallmouth are aggressive fish. If they are up that close to the bank and that shallow, they will almost certainly hit a small panfish sized popper, and watching them do so will be a lot more fun than fishing something on or near the bottom. The popper should also get you some sunfish.

As for shredded thumbs and landing bass by hand, just put some athletic tape on your thumb and it should solve the problem. And mash the barbs on the hooks of whatever fly you use, and make sure they are mashed flat. That way, if you do end up getting a hook into your anatomy, it will come out easily. And learn the trick of removing hooks with a piece of line. You can remove hooks from most areas of your body quickly, easily, and without a trip to the emergency room. I've removed hooks (with barbs) from my own thumb, calf, and big toe, and have removed them from my wife's elbow and another guy's forearm. The guy, by the way, had a big two treble hook lure stuck in his forearm and was going to go to the emergency room to have it removed. I told him I could get it out easily, just sit down and look the other way. I clipped the split ring holding the hook to the lure with a pair of side-cutters (they should be in your gear bag at all times) and removed my shoelace to use to get it out of his arm. He was watching as he sat at a picnic table, and suddenly he passed out just from the stress and squeamishness of seeing this big hook stuck in his arm. His head came down on the table just as I flipped the hook out of his arm. He awoke a second or two later, and told me that he was going to have to go to the emergency room; he didn't think he could stand to let me try to get the hook out. I just told him to look at his arm.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Can you fish little nymphs sort of like a streamer?

I have no idea if the fish are stocked or not, at one time they were but I think they have become a stable population so no stocking has been done for a while (dont quote me on that) The issue is the pond is a cold water pond (fed by run off from the surounding mountains and the population is pretty big so I dont think they have had the chance to grow very big. There are decent sized ones though, about 2 weeks ago I was fishing and couldnt see anything and didnt get any to play with it but there was an Osprey that pulled a decent sized bass out. I have a feeling that the bigger ones are out in the middle where I cant quite get, might have to try the Canoe.

Ill have to pick up a few nice little top water lures and flys for them this friday, they are agressive little buggers I had a little school of 5-7 gils follow in a tube jib and all at once start attacking it and the split shot that was infront of it, all about 5 feet away from me!

Ill try the tape, I thought it might work but wasnt sure, and yes I dont fish with barbed hooks anymore. After I had one go into the webbing between my fingers I stopped using barbs.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Slow short strips with the beadheads after they sink to bottom. Try for bigger SBs right where the feeder stream comes in. Also look for rocky areas and large boulders. Try a crayfish or leech pattern. Good luck. SBs are a blast at any size!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Try a non-weighted mini-bugger.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

On the surface, small foam terrestrials with rubber legs.

Underneath, damsel nymphs or something resembling tadpoles.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Thats the funny thing about this pond, there is no feeder stream but it says the same level all summer (might drop an inch or two but not much) Best I can figure is there is a spring that feeds it.

I picked up a top water popper big, a little diver popper bug and a couple foam ant looking things. Topped off my bugger material and tied up a few extra little nymphs.

Ill get out fishing now!

Thanks all.