The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gatortransplant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 04:49 PM

exeres11 is on a distinguished road
Default Want to switch styles but...

Hi everybody, new to the forum but have been fly fishing since my teens. I searched the forum for the answer to the question I am posing with no results. I think the reason I haven't found what I'm looking for is the wording. The problem is I have ALWAYS used top water poppers or something that floats. Recently I was working a water logged spider when it began to sink. As you may already know the action picked up.
My question is how do you go about fishing a "sinking" fly without getting hung up? What am I missing?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to switch styles but...

If you tie your own flies, or you can buy them this way, just use a heavy mono loop that starts at the upper end of the bend of the hook and loops under and back up to the eye. It's a 'weed guard.' Here's a simple step by step: http://www.derekspace.net/weedguard.htm
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Thanks Fred, I have just started looking into tying flies for myself. Last Christmas my wife gave me some "non-floating" flys. They do not have a weed guard. I would really like to experiment with these, but if I buy or tie any for myself I will definitely look for the weed guard.
If there are any more tips they would be appriciated.
Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard,
I'm fairly new myself and these folks here are full of good info.
I too have been fishin' spiders and the little red plastic worms that sink. I've found if I strip a little line in quickly, it raises the bug and gets it out of the tangles. The fish hit it like it's trying to get away.
I like the loop idea, but, I don't yet tie.
Good Fishin'
Rick
Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

"Sinking" flies are commonly called "subsurface" flies. Both nymphs and streamers fall into this category. You may also hear "wet" flies being referred to, but these typically refer to a specific category of fly that looks rather like a hybrid between a nymph and a streamer, or a particularly water-logged dry fly (which is a fly that is fished on the surface). Streamers are your wooly buggers, clousers, etc. and they can represent leeches, minnows, and other swimming things. Nymphs include copper johns, pheasant tails, hare ears, etc. and they imitate, well, nymphs Pupae, larvae, etc. With nymphs especially, if you're not getting hung up occasionally, you're likely not fishing your flies deep enough. You will get hung up, and you will lose flies. You're not doing anything wrong, unless you're getting hung up EVERY cast. Then you might need to get rid of a little weight or use unweighted flies. But trout and other fish tend to like the disturbed water at the bottom, and that represents one of their possible lies. Those places you are most likely to snag up and lose flies are often your best places to find fish as well (just like in bass fishing or most other types of fishing, structure is often key). So don't worry about losing flies, especially since nymphs are a lot cheaper than spoons and roostertails and such While it might not be as exciting as topwater, surbsurface is sometimes the place to be!
Davo likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Good info Gator, Thanks. I guess I will just get out there and give it a try. Thanks everybody!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, where are you at in the country and are you fishing still water or creeks? Also what is the primary species you are after when you fish? These few things will help fine tune the replies you get from the membership. Knowing whether you're hanging up in weeds, logs, boulders, the current or lack there of are all factors.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I like to tie mine with a double weed guard. That way when one gets bent out of shape (and they do) you just cut the bad one off and there's a back-up. The bug is functional longer that way.
I like to cast right into the salad, so weed guards are mandatory for me

Click the image to open in full size.