The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default White Bass flies

I ordered some fly tying material and to make a long story short, it was back-ordered and took me forever to get a refund. I plan on going up to hit the white bass run again fairly soon. I don't feel like spending the gas money to go all the way up to Cabela's or Bass Pro for a few little things, so I improvised. They're not quite the same as what I usually tie, but I've got a good feeling that the white bass will love these guys. (I usually use marabou as a tail and put a small propeller blade on the bead-head ones since the water can get kinda dirty.)

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
riverbilly likes this.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 AM

oaktree is on a distinguished road
Default Re: White Bass flies

What size are they? Been looking for flies that work well for white bass.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM

They're size 8 Mustad R73 hooks. 3X long, 2X heavy
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

That fly should be a killer on the WBs. I fish a large impoundment for them and my go to fly is a simple bead head with pearl flasabou. White with flash and movement seems to always be they're weakness.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Those ties look very similar to what I use for snook at night, but I can't see why white bass wouldn't eat them right up.

Also, and this is particularly random, but I thought you had used one of those nymphheadz from the guys who make fishskullz on the second of the two shown. As I looked closer I realized that what I thought was the eye-bump was actually a reflection of you taking the photo. Kinda neat

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Those ties look very similar to what I use for snook at night, but I can't see why white bass wouldn't eat them right up.

Also, and this is particularly random, but I thought you had used one of those nymphheadz from the guys who make fishskullz on the second of the two shown. As I looked closer I realized that what I thought was the eye-bump was actually a reflection of you taking the photo. Kinda neat
Cool! Now that you said something, I do notice a giant hand there lol!

I like the idea that they're simple. A zonk strip and some pearl estaz!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 PM

nomadic piscator will become famous soon enough

Looks pretty awesome my man. Can't wait to get out there with you and hook into some serious fish. White bass, white fly. Great standard rule