The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Gar attack and monster fish

I went out to the dam today with my sister and buddy for a couple of hours. I ended up wet wading and it honestly didn't feel too bad. After a little while, I was casting and ended up fudging my cast and nearly falling down. "Something" ended up ramming me and when I looked down, I seen the tail of a VERY large Longnose Gar. I was about up to my waist and you'd swear I was walking on water back to the shore. Throughout the trip I ended up changing flies a lot because nothing was hitting at all. I ended up tying on a crayfish orange Kat Killer and was swinging it through a deep area when all of a sudden I had a hit so hard that it almost tripped me and darn near ripped the rod from my hands! Before I could even set the hook, it was gone. I'm not sure what it was, but my money is on a monster carp or flathead catfish.

Meanwhile, my friend and sister were bottom fishing a couple hundred yards downriver. While I was fishing, the came back to see me and showed me their reel. It was completely busted. They fought this "River Monster" for a couple of minutes and shredded the little reel. Today must have been a day for big fish, but we didn't land any.
FISHN50 likes this.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM

nomadic piscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gar attack and monster fish

Good stuff my man, sounds like you had quite the adventure even if you didn't land anything. I definitely believe there is gonna be some real river monsters in your river as close as you are to the the great lakes. I'm really wanting for us to get into some massive sheephead.

Great news about the wet wading not being too bad up there. I'm ready to pack up the waders and bust out the board shorts
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 AM

Heck yeah man! I was out there in a t-shirt and swimming trunks!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That must have been something to have a gar bump into you like that, I think I'd have been walking on water too!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
That must have been something to have a gar bump into you like that, I think I'd have been walking on water too!
'Ol Mr. Gar wasn't too happy with me being there. He more or less rammed into me like a torpedo. Any other fish I wouldn't have minded quite as much. I like catching gar, but I don't like swimming with them LOL!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Cool report! Not many Gar here. I've seen them in FL & on the Pocomoke River here in MD, and they are quite menacing looking. I've had Bluefish & Carp bump me when wading, but never rammed. I guess if it's a choice of getting rammed & having one slash at your hand with all those teeth, you got the better end of that message! Maybe it just wanted to get your attention!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I had a spoonbill do that once... i just about shat my pants. There's nothign like seeing a dorsal fin and tail swim by after something bumps your leg.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I remember the first time I saw a seal in the river underwater coming right at me. I was about 300 yards from the bay over on the islands; it took a couple seconds to realize it was a seal and then I was able to breath again.

On a side note, salmon often bump into your legs when the water is high and off color from rains. When you are standing almost waist deep and one bumps you or has a near miss that you can feel; this is your first clue that you are standing in the wrong spot! With that big Gar it could be that you should be real close to shore and casting to the range where he turned up. It was there for a reason and it or others may return.

At least you saw it,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

NIce!
I used to body board in the Pacific, we would see lots of seals, otters, and dolphins swimming around. The gray fin of the dolphin was always a bit scary until you could see that it wasn't a shark. Every few years a surfer would get attacked by a great white!
Sounds like you are going to have some fun at that spot in the future...
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road

I don't know how gar handle their eggs. Perhaps the same as other fish? That being the case do you suppose there might have been bed nearby and the gar was trying to shoo you away from it?
hillbilly rick likes this.