The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 12:18 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Carp and Bluegill kind of week

So I have managed to go fishing this week twice on back to back days on Tuesday and Wednesday. It all started out on Monday when I received my Orvis superfine 7'11 4 wt rod I "accidentally" bid on on E bay and decided it needed to be proven. So that night I start tying up some experimental flies in size 14, 16, and 18 and head to the local lake the next morning. So I roll up to the local nature center and with in two casts I hook into a fish this lovely hand sized guy
Click the image to open in full size.
a few casts later and I have another on
and thats when the action started
fish on cast 5
cast 6
cast 7
cast 8
and finally cast 9
At this point I was grinning like the Cheshire cat and I just had to tell somebody so I call up my fishing buddy Bobby and he rushes on over to join me in the fun.
I offer him one of my flies and he immediately on his first cast catches a fish so he catches two more and switches to a pattern of his own and only catches one. We decide to give the nature center a rest and head to my secret creek where he proceeds to catch 3 huge bluegill and I catch nothing so we head back to the nature center where my final tally was 38 bluegill none smaller than in the pictures.
So I go home knowing the next day its off to Lake Ray Roberts for some wet wading carp fishing. I wake up and get to the lake where I meet up with my buddy Dave. As soon as we get in the water we see fish I mean 25 or so carp all in the first 5 minutes but there is a problem they were all cruising. So as the day goes on we see easily over 300 fish and Dave hooks and lands 4 nice 8 pound carp and I hook one and loose it.

From boom to bust but what a wonderful 2 days fishing.

(p.s. I foul hooked that carp and he pulled and pulled and I had him on for a solid 3 minutes boy what a fight! I am totally sold on carp on the fly!)
Thank you all for reading this novel of a post.
For those of you in the bluegill swap I will be sending in my Bluegill pattern I used on Monday hopefully it will bring as much success as it has brought me.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Carp and Bluegill kind of week

Thanks for sharing! Bluegills can be an absolute blast. You should try some small poppers or topwater baits for them too. Just an absolute beast. I've had a heck of a time lately getting carp to bite. They're spawning right now, and just seem to turn everything down that I throw at them.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Yea all the fish we saw were a mix of cruisers and spawning pairs I thought that I was going to have to make long casts but I rarely had more than 5 feet of fly line out at any time. I usually save the top water for the summer because around here there will be clusters of 10 to 20 fish right below the surface during the summer. I have never figured out why they group up like that so shallow during the summer months here water temps are in the mid to high 80's
Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I believe the carp are spawning also...
I saw maybe 50 carp the other day. I had maybe 10 good shots, and they were all denied by the cruising carp. A few were mudding, but they weren't really eating much.

Awesome gill fest! I bet that was a blast on the 4wt.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

It's been my experience smaller 'gills spawn first, go back in a week or so and there should be bigger ones on the same nests.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

The gills are in full spawn near me and aggressive as can be! I was targeting a group of koi in a local pond and couldn't keep the gill off the fly - fly selection didn't matter.

I lost count after 15 gills