The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 02:27 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Went after carp and had a surprise...

I decided to go after some carp this morning and didn't have any luck. Again. They just weren't interested. They were more interested in chasing each other around. So, I packed up and headed off to the other river here in town. I ended up finding a nice spot where some rapids and holes come together and make up some nice runs. I tossed out a DDH Leech on my 8wt and after a few twitches, I felt a hard pull and set the hook. After a tough battle, I landed a dandy Freshwater Drum. I cast out a few more times and had something hit like a freight train. This thing was unstoppable. It didn't help that the fish took off and headed for the fast water. I noticed that I was about ready to be spooled so I took off after him down the bank. Imagine someone with 25lb clunky rubber waders that are about two sizes too small storming down the bank. I'm sure it was an interesting sight to the onlookers. After it was all said and done, I landed one hefty channel cat. We don't grow them Red River sized here, but he was a good one for around here.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Went after carp and had a surprise...

Im always impressed with the fight of a channel cat!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! I've never hooked into a Channel Cat, but I have heard the same thing that they fight extremely hard.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Awesome day for sure. Looks incredible.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Love those channel cats. They're like hooking on to a bulldozer that's heading away.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:37 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Love those channel cats. They're like hooking on to a bulldozer that's heading away.
I couldn't agree more. That catfish just would not come in. It gave my 8wt a workout. I would get him close and he would just pull away. I honestly didn't think that I would land him. It got pretty gnarly when he hit the fast moving water. I had to chase him, get spooled, or lose him.

My crappy little cell phone camera didn't do the catfish much justice regarding size. I have Godzilla hands and I couldn't get my hands around him. It was probably one of the biggest channels I've caught.