The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 PM

nomadic piscator will become famous soon enough
Default Tales of the Dark Water

Went out again this weekend for some pike and smallies. We've had quite a bit of luck lately in this particular dark river. This thread will be dedicated to the fish that come from it. Enough of the chat. Here's the fish we enticed into feeding...Loving this Life

Click the image to open in full size.

Heres one of the companero

Another nice smallie, not as nice as last weeks but still a great fish.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tales of the Dark Water

Wow looks like a paradise you found there.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a great day on the water. I need to find some bass water around here. My 6wt and 8wt are getting bored.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:34 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Nice looking fish man!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 AM

I'll be going out again for the holiday weekend to try and pull in some toothy ones. I'm sure there will be some meat eating smallies that take my pike flies as well. (there always is)

I believe I have convinced the boss that I can leave work early today so I can start my adventure a day earlier. If so, there might even be an update on this thing tonight!

Hope everyone else gets a chance to hit the river this weekend as well, Tight Lines and stay safe!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic piscator View Post
I'll be going out again for the holiday weekend to try and pull in some toothy ones. I'm sure there will be some meat eating smallies that take my pike flies as well. (there always is)

I believe I have convinced the boss that I can leave work early today so I can start my adventure a day earlier. If so, there might even be an update on this thing tonight!

Hope everyone else gets a chance to hit the river this weekend as well, Tight Lines and stay safe!
Good luck on the river man! I'll be hitting the river up this weekend too. I'm scoping out some new spots for our adventure.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great thread & great fish!

Your posting is one of the things that continues to make this the best fly fishing website people can find! A little info on how you're pulling it off would only add to the thread; retrieve - depth - and etc. Beautiful fish,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM

Update from the weekend...

My dark water is unusually low since we have been on a 3 week drought with the air temps continuing to climb at a very unusual pace for May. The river is the lowest I've ever seen it and some old timers say its the lowest its been in 10+ years. Not many good things come in the pike world when the water temp is about that of a bath tub. So we ventured onto a different stretch further down where we knew the water got a little higher. When the river is pushing hard, this particular area is over 15 feet deep. The water was much cooler then our regular stretch but the bottom was also different and this made it not so much of a "pikey" area. We fished hard for two days, but with the weather in the 90s by midmorning we decided not to push the limits too hard. We know, pike are kinda sissys when it comes to putting up a big fight in warmer water with lower oxygen levels. We turned a handful of fish and saw quite a bit of action from other species but nothing worth bragging about. We've decided to hang up the pike rods and see what we can do in the world of 6 wts from here until fall. If the water temps drop you might see some action in the Muskie Mix thread, but for now it'll be slow.

Keep checking this thread if you want to see some smallmouth or carp.

Thanks for the compliment Ard. I'm always down to help a fellow angler who is pursuing a fish. The biggest thing I have learned is that its all about putting your time in. I've logged over 90 hours on the water in the past few weeks and I've had a hell of spring thanks to it. But I've also had a lot of ten hour days with only one or two good fish to show for it. When fishing for the big ones you have slower days, but when you get a fish its quality. I'm not exactly full of great knowledge or anything special, I just fish a lot.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 PM

Well said my friend. I couldn't agree more and I'll see you tomorrow!