The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Carp question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
Ok just because the spawn is in swing you should definetly not stop fishing. The first thing to understand is that not all carp spawn at the same time. Now when the big pods of spawning carp are splashing and rolling all in the shallows what happens? Alot of mud is kicked up which becomes a feeding frenzy for non spawning carp to come in and eat all the junk being kicked off the bottom. I have landed some where in the neighbor hood of 20 this year and in the first two days of the spawn I had muti fish days. The water is so muddy and the fish are so charged up they have no fear of your fly and arnt spooky one bit. All you have do do is look not at the spawners but at less active loner fish that seem to be feeding and I promise its like taking candy from a baby. In the second day of the spawn I landed my largest ever on the fly which was estimated between 15 and 18 pounds and the next day landed one near ten (I put the pics up in my thread and in the picture thread) . Do your self a favore go tie a few back stabbers grab your 8 weight and get to the lake cause the spawn is your best chance of the year to l;and a HOG!! amen.

I'd have to agree. I've seen some beasts when I went out lately. I've had a few follows and takes and I could have probably landed a few had I not goofed up. Adrenaline and presenting a fly don't mix well sometimes.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer View Post
I'd have to agree. I've seen some beasts when I went out lately. I've had a few follows and takes and I could have probably landed a few had I not goofed up. Adrenaline and presenting a fly don't mix well sometimes.
Good to see someone else who dosn't hang it up when the spawn is on. Carp can be caught all year and personaly belive that the best fishing is in the spawn. Not to mention all this fish are jacked up so even the feeders have longer and more wild runs!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
Good to see someone else who dosn't hang it up when the spawn is on. Carp can be caught all year and personaly belive that the best fishing is in the spawn. Not to mention all this fish are jacked up so even the feeders have longer and more wild runs!
I get a little discouraged sometimes, but I haven't gave up yet. I get a little confused though lol. The biggest problem is the water. It's got so much scum and stuff in it, I have to clean my fly and line off after every cast. If it clears up, I'll be in business. Plus, I've only been able to fish for a short amount of time every time I've went out. I plan on trying to get out today or tomorrow.