The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tbblom
  • 1 Post By mrl0004

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Late night largemouth love

Well, my girlfriend is out of town, which makes fishing until 11pm a whole lot easier in general. Today was hot, high 80's, and I didn't even want to fish until
after 7. I went to a local spot that is known for small mouth and walleye; I have been doing well there and caught my first few walleye last week.
Before sunset at the smaller lake I managed a perch, small mouth, and 2 bluegill. The biggest was the perch at about 6". At sunset I moved to the dam on the big lake, hoping for a big walleye for dinner, or at least a few scrappy SMBs to play with. I had a few chartreuse and white jig flies that I wanted to try out. Didn't even get a bite on the dam, stayed until about 10.
The bait casting/watching crowd seemed to be getting the skunk also.
On the walk back to the car I decided to stop by the smaller lake for a few last casts. I tied on a chartreuse/striped/articulated perch imitation, and after about 15 minutes I had this guy on. Unfortunately the photo does no justice to the fish; about 17-18" and super fat. Probably my heaviest bass so far, and perhaps a tie for length.
Click the image to open in full size.
A few casts later in the same region, maybe 12":
And about 10 minutes later a bit further out, another around 12":

By 11pm, the evening was totally salvaged by these great bass... The next couple of weeks with the girlfriend away should yield some great night fishing.
TB
attila likes this.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Late night largemouth love

Full on Bass Ninja!!! milt.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

When I saw the title, I thought, "I've heard of strange animal love before, goats, etc.." Thankfully, I was wrong.

Nice bass!
tbblom likes this.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM

nomadic piscator will become famous soon enough

Pretty awesome fish man, the pics definitely showed the size well. They looked like some well fed hogs. I've never really had the guts to try night fishing with the fly rod. Had a bad experience once and I just haven't worked up the guts to go again. Sounds like your gonna have a nice couple weeks ahead of you! Keep the pics flowing...
Old 05-23-2012, 03:56 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Very nice. Congrats. Got any pics of that fly ?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

After last nights success with the perch streamer, I thought I should tie up another. Kind of figured you guys might like to see it too. Not sure how well it will work in broad daylight, but a yellow backed version has done well.

This is an articulated/dumbell eye version of the 'Belly Ache Minnow' (google it).
Umpqua U401 #2 hook, Gamakatsu SC15, or equivalent bass or saltwater hook.
'Fish Skullz' articulated shank for the main body.
belly material is Wing n' Flash Pearl, head is same in gunmetal.
Gold dumbell eyes.
Chartreuse zonker strip over the whole thing.

I blew out the exposure in photoshop to try to see the full extent of the fish with fins extended:

Last edited by tbblom; 05-23-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: photo link error
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 AM

A few more from tonight:

On an articulated/leggy crayfish pattern in light colors.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 AM

Same pond around 10pm tonight...pyrenees minnow
high winds made evening fishing tough, only saw a few fish. no carp, but finally washed the skunk off around 10pm after the winds died down a bit.
The cat is away, and the mouse is still playing.