The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muddy water fun

Quillback cool! Is there any rough fish thats not in that muddy water ? I think you've gotten most of the species covered ! Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I went out and beat the heat today by taking a trip down to the muddy water. I had a field day chasing Longnose Gar with rope flies. I must have caught over 20 of them. No monsters, but a lot of 18-24" ones. They gave the 6wt a good work-out. Then, I noticed a couple of odd looking fish hanging out in some riffles. I tied on one of my new flies called a Helloween Nymph. I drifted it through the riffle and when the line stopped, I set the hook. After a fun fight, I managed to land a small, but feisty Bigmouth Buffalo! A good day on the muddy water yet again.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:54 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

NICE!!!! You have that spot down to a science! Did the gar have there teeth tangled in the rope fly or did the hook set? I ask because the last 24 long nose gar I hooked in NC I lost . Looks like you stayed cool and had another great trip . Congrats!!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

too cool, gotta catch a gar some time
Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
NICE!!!! You have that spot down to a science! Did the gar have there teeth tangled in the rope fly or did the hook set? I ask because the last 24 long nose gar I hooked in NC I lost . Looks like you stayed cool and had another great trip . Congrats!!
Every gar had his teeth tangled. It takes a while to get used to the "hook set" of a rope fly though. I still want to set the hook.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Talking Re: Muddy water fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer View Post
Every gar had his teeth tangled. It takes a while to get used to the "hook set" of a rope fly though. I still want to set the hook.
Eventually I'll figure them out. I have taken a vow not to let the gar get the best of me! Haha!
mbphotos54 and jhammer like this.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Today was bad. I'm not going to lie. I don't know why, but instead of relaxing in the A/C, I decided that I should go fly fishing instead. I did have a couple new patterns to try, but they could have waited. So, I braved the 105+ degree heat index and went in search of some fish. I ended up catching two fish the whole time I was there. A large Bigmouth Buffalo which I didn't get a picture of because my camera decided to give out, and a small carp which I did get a couple pics of with my phone. Of course the buff had to take off as I was fumbling around getting my phone.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could pick some brains about carp here. I have fished these carp and this river for 16 years and have never had this much trouble catching them. Even during extreme heat waves and low water conditions. The fish are clearly tailing and rooting around in the muck and mud. They leave their little mud "poofs" all over. It seems like I've tried every fly I know of and in every color and I only get them by sheer luck. I have no idea what they're feeding on. I've tried to turn over rocks but I couldn't find anything. What do I do next? What flies? I can't figure out what I've been doing wrong. I know they're hungry, but not for my food I guess.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

You need backstabbers...yellow..tied with a rabbit wing and heavy eyes. gets it down fast and in front of them. Dont be affarid to tie em big. My buddy Chris fished with #2 and #4s. I felt bad throwing a size 4 4x short but yeah, not so much. Have you seen any little goby type fish in the river? In lake Michigan those common carp are major carnivores. They loooove eating gobies and crayfish. Might try some of those type patterns as well. Damsel nymphs are another good one for busting stuborn carp. I have a link to a cool pattern if you want me to dig it up.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
You need backstabbers...yellow..tied with a rabbit wing and heavy eyes. gets it down fast and in front of them. Dont be affarid to tie em big. My buddy Chris fished with #2 and #4s. I felt bad throwing a size 4 4x short but yeah, not so much. Have you seen any little goby type fish in the river? In lake Michigan those common carp are major carnivores. They loooove eating gobies and crayfish. Might try some of those type patterns as well. Damsel nymphs are another good one for busting stuborn carp. I have a link to a cool pattern if you want me to dig it up.
Wow, that's a fly that completely slipped my mind! No, I haven't seen any gobies or anything in the river. I used some of my MudBugs that look like crayfish and nothing. I also threw some old reliable nymph patterns at them too. Some of them are in slack water feeding, and others are holding in riffles. The carp I caught was holding in some shallow riffles.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Try the backstabber. They have been proving well here lately. Especially in yellow.

Storm Drain Bonefisher