The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Muddy water fun

I had a great feeling about the river today and arrived bright and early about 7 A.M. After wading out to my spot, I tied on a black Kat Killer and had myself a field day with Freshwater Drum, Longnose Gar, and Carp. I managed to land two nice Carp and lost three HUGE fish that I had no chance of besting. I was using my 6wt Echo. I usually use my 8wt, but the tip busted when I was out yesterday. I was holding the rod in the middle looking at one of the guides and a large fish hit the fly dangling in the water and went deep. I'm happy that today went well because I needed to get my carpin' on and it felt great. It was a great way to break in the new rod. Here's some pictures!

Carp #1

Click the image to open in full size.

Carp #2

Longnose Gar

Old 05-28-2012, 02:59 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Muddy water fun

I seen a gar attaching a bass nesting today. tossed a few flys at both, never got a hit. even with my crawfish..
Old 05-28-2012, 04:21 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I haven't been able to hook into a gar yet with a normal fly. I've got a bit of nylon rope and sharpies sitting on my bench right now that get thrown at gar soon.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a great day! I missed quite a few gar today...just couldn't get a good enough hook set
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Sounds like a great day! I missed quite a few gar today...just couldn't get a good enough hook set
I missed quite a few too. It's hard to get a good hold on that beak of theirs.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 PM

nomadic piscator will become famous soon enough

Went out today with the man Jhammer. We seriously smashed some fish. I had my doubts when he told me that I would leave with a sore arm but now I'm a believer. We started the day out pretty early this morning and I had hooked into my first catfish within 15 minutes. It was non-stop drum all day. Not very many were small either. He managed to prove himself as the carp master by landing way more then I did. The size of most of these fish was unbelievable. The man is truly the master of the muddy water. Here's just a couple shots of the day. Keep in mind that we took over 80 pictures.

He"ll be posting some of himself later as well

Old 05-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you guys are having a field day on that muddy water, congrats!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM

I had a great day with nomadic piscator today. It was a blast fishing with him and we certainly put the smackdown on some fish. I was happy to introduce him to my home waters and let him have some muddy water fun. Each of us caught many fish and quite a wide variety of species as well. At one point, we even had a carp double on!

Last edited by jhammer; 05-30-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Man you guys were killing out there . And I am so dang jealous of that Longnose gar . I spent 10 days in N.C. Trying to get just one . Gar 24 Me 0! Great trip and cool pics. Thanks for sharing !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 PM

Here's a few of my pictures from today. Piscator and I make one heck of a fly fishing team. We drew quite a crowd battling these awesome fish with the long rods. I don't think the bait tossers even caught anything! Sorry about the constant editing too. My Photobucket was goofing up and I had a heck of a time getting the pictures to load correctly.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:28 PM ----------

Be sure to stay tuned for more muddy water fun posts too!

Last edited by jhammer; 05-30-2012 at 11:05 PM.