The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Slab-tastic, Crappie Weekend

Took my bro out for his first time fly fishing. His favorite fish to catch is bass so I figured Barren Lake would be a good fit. Well, the bass were no where to be found until sunset when I managed 3. Couldn't figure out why the bass weren't biting. Usually the lake is a bass factory! Fishing was actually pretty slow all day though.

I started out with 2 skanky, pike. Then one decent walleye in the 20" range. Then we started into the crappies!!!

I had caught some big ole slabs outta the lake before but never consistently. We ended up finding a school and pulled out some big ole jokers!

Click the image to open in full size.

First one was 14.5"! My bro asked why I wasn't overly excited about the fish!? I said cuz it wasn't a 15", that my goal was to bag a 15". BOOM! Not a minute later, I land a 15". lol

My bro got his first fish on a fly rod, a 14.75" crappie! Not too shabby! He then "caught" a perch later on. He didn't even know it was on his line. lol. He brought it up and went to cast. lol

He was only able to get the one, I think I got 6, and nothing under 14". They were all post-spawn; ripped up fins, skinny, still had their spawning colours.

The weather was bright and sunny all day and I couldn't figure out why the bass weren't biting. :-/ I was more happy with catching the crappies though, I just wanted my bro to get a chance at a couple bass.

Was quite a number of cahill mayflies coming off and sitting on the water.

Nick
Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Slab-tastic, Crappie Weekend

cool.

What camera are you using?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Nikon AW100
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Looks like it was a great day!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 PM

kdeutman is on a distinguished road

I catch crappie all the time. Most of the time when I don't want to. If i caught ones that size I would be happy. Great fish there! You have skills.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nick: That looks like a lot of fun. I love Crappie fishing but have never caught one the size you guys were landing, congrats! Strange how the bass were off the feed.

Larry