The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Grass carp (pics) (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/285125-grass-carp-pics.html)

bucktail 06-05-2012 12:54 PM

Grass carp (pics)
 
Okay so I had just gotten back from south carolina for a week and decided to do some carp fishing with my friends we went out yesterday and all togther we had seven small common carp caught on the squirrel dub craw from missouri flies (highly Reccomended). At the end of the day my buddy was bugging me to go after grass carp the next morning but because I assumed they were impossible to catch I held off but finally gave in. Well I wake up early today call my buddy and he is not picking up nor is the other friend that wanted to go (They both slept in....) I decided to go any way and what a great choice I made on my first attempt I spotted one feeding and shot my grass fly right to the middle of the pond. He slowly chomped on it till it was all the way in its mouth and thats when I slammed him. I had the city mower take my pic with it since he was the one responsible for it by putting all his clippings in the water. A good day for me.



http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...re3004-001.jpg



http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...re3005-002.jpg




http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...re3006-003.jpg

kdeutman 06-05-2012 01:59 PM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
WOW! Very impressive! Did you use sinking line to catch this one? Since I've started fly fishing I have wanted to go for carp.

bucktail 06-05-2012 02:04 PM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdeutman (Post 459971)
WOW! Very impressive! Did you use sinking line to catch this one? Since I've started fly fishing I have wanted to go for carp.




I used an 8 weight floating line. When the grass is cut its all floating on top so they eat right off the surface. But I still use floating when fishing for commons too that are diggin on the bottom it just makes life easier. When it comesto common carp you will have a blast get some crawfish imatations and get stalking:thumbsupu

mcnerney 06-05-2012 02:07 PM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
Congrats, very nice indeed!
The pond that I take my grandson fishing for smallmouth bass has about 20 grass carp but the people that own the pond don't want people fishing for them so we respect their wishes.

stl_geoff 06-05-2012 02:14 PM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
Contrarry to what most think, those grass carp when feeding will eat just about damn near anything. I have had some MONSTERS suck up flies I have presented to them, just had poor hook sets.

When I went fishing with Chris ( missourflies.com owner ) we were talking about that and he said as long as you damn near smack them in the face with the fly or it makes some noise on the water, they will eat it. This proved to be very true, Im going to try and get after some monsters this weekend, some i saw last time were probably in the 40" range

kdeutman 06-05-2012 02:40 PM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bucktail (Post 459974)
I used an 8 weight floating line. When the grass is cut its all floating on top so they eat right off the surface. But I still use floating when fishing for commons too that are diggin on the bottom it just makes life easier. When it comesto common carp you will have a blast get some crawfish imatations and get stalking:thumbsupu

Nice! I always thought you had to get way down to catch carp. I just bought some crawfish the other day. I'll have to get to it this weekend!

brookfieldangler 06-05-2012 02:49 PM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
Very nice. Was the fight comparable to commons or was it more like a wet noodle?

bucktail 06-05-2012 07:02 PM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brookfieldangler (Post 460002)
Very nice. Was the fight comparable to commons or was it more like a wet noodle?



It was a pretty decent fight but of course I dont see any comparison to a small to medium size carp. Still a good fight though.;)

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl_geoff (Post 459979)
Contrarry to what most think, those grass carp when feeding will eat just about damn near anything. I have had some MONSTERS suck up flies I have presented to them, just had poor hook sets.

When I went fishing with Chris ( missourflies.com owner ) we were talking about that and he said as long as you damn near smack them in the face with the fly or it makes some noise on the water, they will eat it. This proved to be very true, Im going to try and get after some monsters this weekend, some i saw last time were probably in the 40" range



I am very familiar with missouri fles that guy is a fly fishing guru and yes I have seen the monster grass carp he has caught on a full range of flies! I am proud to say I own a few of his ties and they have produced well for me this year tell him bucktail says thanks!:D

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 459976)
Congrats, very nice indeed!
The pond that I take my grandson fishing for smallmouth bass has about 20 grass carp but the people that own the pond don't want people fishing for them so we respect their wishes.

Yea thats usually the case but no one seemed to mind and it was more a small lake than a pond so I called it fair game:o

stl_geoff 06-06-2012 10:13 AM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bucktail (Post 460075)
I am very familiar with missouri fles that guy is a fly fishing guru and yes I have seen the monster grass carp he has caught on a full range of flies! I am proud to say I own a few of his ties and they have produced well for me this year tell him bucktail says thanks!:D

I had one and lost it in a tree, with him standing there hahha. i was on a roll that day. I would make brilliant well placed super casts...no fish. then the next 12 casts all sucked and every other set was a tree or rock. i caught one tree branch over head like 3-4 times in a row before I said screw it and left haha.

Joni 06-06-2012 03:32 PM

Re: Grass carp (pics)
 
I think Grass carp fight quite a bit harder than Common, but then maybe it is the waters that make it seem that way.

Very impressive!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.