The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Grass carp (pics)

Okay so I had just gotten back from south carolina for a week and decided to do some carp fishing with my friends we went out yesterday and all togther we had seven small common carp caught on the squirrel dub craw from missouri flies (highly Reccomended). At the end of the day my buddy was bugging me to go after grass carp the next morning but because I assumed they were impossible to catch I held off but finally gave in. Well I wake up early today call my buddy and he is not picking up nor is the other friend that wanted to go (They both slept in....) I decided to go any way and what a great choice I made on my first attempt I spotted one feeding and shot my grass fly right to the middle of the pond. He slowly chomped on it till it was all the way in its mouth and thats when I slammed him. I had the city mower take my pic with it since he was the one responsible for it by putting all his clippings in the water. A good day for me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Joni likes this.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 PM

kdeutman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grass carp (pics)

WOW! Very impressive! Did you use sinking line to catch this one? Since I've started fly fishing I have wanted to go for carp.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeutman View Post
WOW! Very impressive! Did you use sinking line to catch this one? Since I've started fly fishing I have wanted to go for carp.

I used an 8 weight floating line. When the grass is cut its all floating on top so they eat right off the surface. But I still use floating when fishing for commons too that are diggin on the bottom it just makes life easier. When it comesto common carp you will have a blast get some crawfish imatations and get stalking
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, very nice indeed!
The pond that I take my grandson fishing for smallmouth bass has about 20 grass carp but the people that own the pond don't want people fishing for them so we respect their wishes.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Contrarry to what most think, those grass carp when feeding will eat just about damn near anything. I have had some MONSTERS suck up flies I have presented to them, just had poor hook sets.

When I went fishing with Chris ( missourflies.com owner ) we were talking about that and he said as long as you damn near smack them in the face with the fly or it makes some noise on the water, they will eat it. This proved to be very true, Im going to try and get after some monsters this weekend, some i saw last time were probably in the 40" range

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM

kdeutman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
I used an 8 weight floating line. When the grass is cut its all floating on top so they eat right off the surface. But I still use floating when fishing for commons too that are diggin on the bottom it just makes life easier. When it comesto common carp you will have a blast get some crawfish imatations and get stalking
Nice! I always thought you had to get way down to catch carp. I just bought some crawfish the other day. I'll have to get to it this weekend!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Very nice. Was the fight comparable to commons or was it more like a wet noodle?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Very nice. Was the fight comparable to commons or was it more like a wet noodle?

It was a pretty decent fight but of course I dont see any comparison to a small to medium size carp. Still a good fight though.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Contrarry to what most think, those grass carp when feeding will eat just about damn near anything. I have had some MONSTERS suck up flies I have presented to them, just had poor hook sets.

When I went fishing with Chris ( missourflies.com owner ) we were talking about that and he said as long as you damn near smack them in the face with the fly or it makes some noise on the water, they will eat it. This proved to be very true, Im going to try and get after some monsters this weekend, some i saw last time were probably in the 40" range

I am very familiar with missouri fles that guy is a fly fishing guru and yes I have seen the monster grass carp he has caught on a full range of flies! I am proud to say I own a few of his ties and they have produced well for me this year tell him bucktail says thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Congrats, very nice indeed!
The pond that I take my grandson fishing for smallmouth bass has about 20 grass carp but the people that own the pond don't want people fishing for them so we respect their wishes.
Yea thats usually the case but no one seemed to mind and it was more a small lake than a pond so I called it fair game
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
I am very familiar with missouri fles that guy is a fly fishing guru and yes I have seen the monster grass carp he has caught on a full range of flies! I am proud to say I own a few of his ties and they have produced well for me this year tell him bucktail says thanks!
I had one and lost it in a tree, with him standing there hahha. i was on a roll that day. I would make brilliant well placed super casts...no fish. then the next 12 casts all sucked and every other set was a tree or rock. i caught one tree branch over head like 3-4 times in a row before I said screw it and left haha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I think Grass carp fight quite a bit harder than Common, but then maybe it is the waters that make it seem that way.

Very impressive!