The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default glass & 'gills

Took the Lamiglas rod to a farm pond for further experimenting this evening. The rod is custom made using a Lamiglas blank and marked 3wt, but a 3wt line feels like it really overloads the rod. I have a DT2F line on it now and it still feels overlined, so I did a "common cents" measurement on it and came up with a 1 weight from the results.
I have a WF1F line ordered for it but it hasn't arrived yet, so I took it with the 2wt line to try it on bluegills.
First one that hit (using a #16 nymph) was 9", and it bent the rod to the cork!

Click the image to open in full size.

Next one I thought I had a bass at first, but it was just another 'gill about the same length, but thick & full of fight.

The action was a bit slow after that, but I did manage to catch a few smaller ones before it got dark.

I will admit the deerflies had me in the mood to retreat by then anyway. As I was assembling the rod I was feeling a burning sensation on my right bicep. I finally got the line strung and glanced at my arm to see a big deerfly setting there. It flew as I tried to swat it, but there was actually a trickle of blood flowing down my arm where it bit me.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: glass & 'gills

I have a Lamiglass glass 7' 6" 4wt blank that is waiting to be built. I haven't had the time to get started on it but you can bet I will finish it this winter. Post some pics of the rod up close!

-Forrest
Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Only have a couple pics of it in my files.

It has single foot guides and is a very slow-full flex action. Perfect for those evening trips for bluegill at the ponds & lakes close to home.

I was surprised at how well it will roll cast the DT2F line when I tried it this evening. Can't wait to try the WF1F line on it, it may be able to get it out for a bit of distance. It will cast the WF3F line about 30' or so, but it gives new meaning to the description SLOW.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking stick. Always liked yellow Lamiglass. Seems like your having a great time with it. And I feel your pain with the dang deer flys. They hurt like all get out. And never ever where white when they're around it's a signal for them to feast . I has to boys out on the stream with white socks on and the deer flys were eating there ankles alive! I think they think it's a whitetails butt!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my Lamiglass "honey" 4wt since 1972 and sometimes I still have trouble adjusting to how slow that rod is, especially after spending some time casting a fast rod.
Still one of my favorites though, even after 40 years.