The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New to Bass on the Fly

Kind of depends on the time and place. Right now I'm focusing on water depths so I have:

Topwater: Popper
Shallow: EP Shiner
Middle: Cave's Rattlin Minnow
Deep: Clouser
Bottom: Stan's Bass Worm (blue)

Im hoping for some changes in the lineup and something to TIE, nice post.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

If I had but one fly, it would be a bead head wooly bugger in dark olive or black.

If I had but two, a popper in addition.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

yes a wolly bugger is also good to have. I couldnt think of them yesterday for some reason.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Shane, I love those frogs. Did you ever post a how-to on the mono springs for the legs?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP. Some of these patterns may not cast real well with a 5 weight, and be careful with Clousers, dumbbell eyes can damage a rod. milt.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:14 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
To the OP. Some of these patterns may not cast real well with a 5 weight, and be careful with Clousers, dumbbell eyes can damage a rod. milt.
The listed patterns can all be sized for a 5 wt if you're tying your own flies. I'll concur with what milt has said about Clousers & rod damage, but same can be said for any fly with a metal weight added, such as cone heads or bead heads. Just be very careful with your casting.

There are many fly patterns that bass will eat, and there are some that are tied for other species, so keep an open mind about choosing flies. Since you're already a bass angler, you know they'll eat anything!

I've been fishing for them a long time, and use many patterns, but here is my list.

Lefty's Deceivers
Seaducers
Clouser Deep Minnows
Any topwater fly: Gurgler, Popper, Slider
Rabbit strip fly: there are many, even MOAL flies tied for Steelhead

With a 5 wt, you should be good with most patterns tied on size 1 to 4 hooks, or perhaps down to a 6.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I use some saltwater flies also. Pearl Polar Flash Clouser Minnows and epoxy head flies work great as well. Green rabbit fur streamers and sculpin patterns can be deadly if you have them in the waters you fish. Some of these flies you will need a 6-8wt rod to toss em, but again it depends on the waters you fish.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM

shakes is on a distinguished road

You can also try some Shenk's streamers on a size 6.
2x on the poppers, but you may also want to try some divers/sliders.
Typical dahlberg divers maybe a little big for a 5 wt, but you can pick up a sneaky pete at Orvis or a Shenandoah Slider over at Murray's Fly Shop.
Good Luck on your new endeavors and enjoy.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:03 PM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road

I agree with all suggested flies mentioned, and I appreciate hearing of a couple I've not tried. I've got a supply of wolly buggers but apparently I don't know how to present them. Also, I have a couple of flies which I think were sold as Bass catchers, but for the life of me I cannot identify them. If I can learn how to insert a picture here, maybe someone can name this pattern for me. (Guess I don't know how to insert image.......... that icon wants me to key a URL as the location of my image......... image is on my c disc). Anyway, it sort of looks like a wolly bugger with eyes and a rabbit strip-accented tail. If anyone can instruct how to insert an image, I think that would work best.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Shane, I love those frogs. Did you ever post a how-to on the mono springs for the legs?
Yes sir. Right here: Swimming Frog (deer hair body)

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamike View Post
I agree with all suggested flies mentioned, and I appreciate hearing of a couple I've not tried. I've got a supply of wolly buggers but apparently I don't know how to present them. Also, I have a couple of flies which I think were sold as Bass catchers, but for the life of me I cannot identify them. If I can learn how to insert a picture here, maybe someone can name this pattern for me. (Guess I don't know how to insert image.......... that icon wants me to key a URL as the location of my image......... image is on my c disc). Anyway, it sort of looks like a wolly bugger with eyes and a rabbit strip-accented tail. If anyone can instruct how to insert an image, I think that would work best.
Just about anything will catch bass at one time or another. Sometimes color matters a LOT. Sometimes depth matters a LOT. Sometimes speed (or lack thereof) matters a LOT. Sometimes they're just hungry and/or mad and will hit anything that hits the water. Those are the rare days when your thumb looks like rough suede when you go home.

An olive or black woolly bugger will catch any fish that swims. Just experiment with different retrieves - fast, jerky, start/stop, S...L....O....W..., etc. until you find something that works. If your flies don't have much weight on them, consider adding a little split shot or lead tape on the leader to get the fly deeper (if you're not catching fish shallow). I tie my woolly buggers with bead or cone heads AND with lead wire wrapped over at least half of the hook shank underneath the chenille. I like them to sink.

If bass are hitting something in the top foot or two of the water column, then I'm gonna be casting a frog.