The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM

vedavoochris is on a distinguished road
Default New to Bass on the Fly

I am an avid bass fisherman but have never experienced hooking a bass on a fly rod. I am new to fly fishing in general so I am salivating over the thought of hooking a smallie/ bucket mouth on a fly rod.

I have a 5 weight so I am good in that department but what I really want to learn is what I should be throwing in terms of flies. If you could only take 5 flies with you to try and hook a bass which flies would you bring?

Cheers!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:49 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: New to Bass on the Fly

Clouser minnow, some sort of crayfish/crawdad whatever you call them, popper of some type, dalhberg diver, and probably Lefty's Deciever. That should cover your fly basics.
Guest1 likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Geoff is right on there, if I had to change anything I might replace one of those with a bugger, but I don't know which I'd replace, as they're all good!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size.

freebird630 likes this.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Rip, is the second pictured fly a seaducer/homer Rhodes shrimp?
Rip Tide likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

I'll agree with everyone.
90% of the time I'm throwing a popper, clouser or craw. Must be a thousand craw patterns out there.
For something different, I'll use a white zonker occasionally. Good baitfish imitation.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 PM

vedavoochris is on a distinguished road

Great stuff, thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Popper with a concave face and rubber legs
Beadhead Bugger
Gurgler or Chernobyl Ant (I can't decide)
Clouser
Headstand
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough

Popper
Clouser minnow
Wooly bugger either bead head or not and black is a good color
zonker
Muddler minnow
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

FROGS!!! There is nothing more exciting than a bass exploding on a frog on the surface. They hit frogs HARD, trying to kill them before they eat them (as best I can tell). It's awesome.

I also carry Clousers (chartreuse/white, red/white, blue/white mostly), Beadhead Woolly Buggers (olive, black), seaducers, deceivers, and other streamer flies for the lowly hours during midday when bass are less likely to hit frogs on the surface. But as soon as clouds roll in or the sun gets low and the bass move up shallow again, I tie on a frog. That's fun stuff.
Guest1 and freebird630 like this.