The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road
Default A little help.

Was fishing this past weekend in a pond that was about 25 acr. It use to be a lake but they drained half of it to build a housing development about 25 years ago. I fish this pond about 10 times a year. It is very muddy and full of fish. I have caught bass, bream, carp, crappie, perch, and catfish. However I was fishing and caught a lot of bream sunday morning. I caught one that was about 6 to 7" long. When I was reeling him in I heard bam. Then I almost got spooled in a matter of about 20-25 secs. I palmed the reel hoping I wouldn't get spooled then my leader broke. I have know idea what the fish was. All I know is that it hit the fish in about 2 feet form the bank and pulled 90ft of fly line and prob. 110 or 120 of backing out like it was nothing. I have caught bass and it didn;t sake its head like a bass. I think it was a big catfish or maybe a bowfin. Have never really caught one on the fly but was wondering if any fisherman here have caught a bowfin before.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: A little help.

Maybe Nessy???? I'm doubting Bowfin simply because, if I am not mistaken, the record bowfin is about 20 lbs. If it pulled that much line that quickly-- I would guess a monster of a catfish. steady hard pull? did it charge decidedly downward and nearly impossible to break over? was your line slimey?

Of course if you want to be able to tell people of your bowfin on the fly-- then I am almost sure that it was a bowfin-- At least that is what it looked like to me (as your witness)...
Old 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

I agree it was totally a bow-fin after all i was there right? my bet is a 20-30 pound Flathead I saw a small 5 pounder come up into 6 inches of water when i went fishing last so they are starting to get pretty active here.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:21 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

flathead cats love to eat bluegill. A 25-30 pounder easily take that much line
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough

I doubt that anyone can be sure what freight trained you but most likely it was a large catfish. A lot of people have misconceptions about cat fish and think they are a bottom feeders and trash fish when in fact it's quite the opposite. They are opportunistic feeders and can be caught at any depth in the water where they live and on just about any type of bait.

I'm a fly fisherman but I also spin cast fish from my bass boat and I've caught them suspended in deep water and I've caught them on crank baits, rubber worms and minnows while fishing for bass.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 AM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

yeah I have caught catfish on rebel pop-r while bass fishing. I too feel that it was a big catfish. I didn't think it could be a bowfin. I have just never had a bid catfish not roll. Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

The Flatheads I catch on the fly never came close to spooling me. They never went past the line length. They have a slow and steady pull and they hug the bottom. It feels like trying to reel in a bulldozer.