The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Default Carp, preferably DFW area

Ive been very curious to get into some carp, but not really sure where to start in my area, and the couple of people I think might know ain't talkin'...

Places, flies, techniques, advice?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Carp, preferably DFW area

folks here are willing to help, just need to know where you are.. lots of carp info and experience on the forum give them time
mike
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hopefully Joni will see this thread, she has been the carp mistress lately! Not to steal her thunder, but she suggested yellow globugs as a carp fly. This fly is very successful, especially when fished as a trailer off a heavier fly. Along with carp, quillbacks and buffalo also seem to like this fly combo. As far as presentation, try casting as delicately as you can 2-3 in front of where you think the carp is heading. Ideally you want the carp to see any sort of critter fly just as it settles to the bottom, in time for you to give it a light twitch. The globug can also be used as a mulberry imitation when carp are feeding off the surface. This is the most fun time to catch carp since they will often rush a fly as it hits the surface. The other day I was lucky enough to catch this happening and had 4 takes in about 30 minutes. Just watch closely because as soon as they suck it up they'll often spit it out!

Now hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about like Joni or Stl_Geoff will weigh in on this one....

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I don't know the exact spots, but the sandy shallow flats of lake Lewisville and Ray Roberts were this guys favorites before he moved to Austin- Trash on the Fly

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

I can attest to ray Roberts its an amazing carp lake last time I saw upwards of 200 carp all cruising. Where in the DEW area cause I'm in the North Richland Hills area.