The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default I went to Lake Pleasant today and caught a fish...

A HUGE Bass. 23" to be exact.

I friend was kind enough to take me out on his boat today. This was to be my first time chasing bass with a fly, from a boat. I was using both my 6 wt BVK and my 8 wt Redington Predator.

I was using the 8 wt when when I got this bad boy and it's a good thing I was because this fish has no intention of making this easy on me.

I was casting a large white gurgler I tied last night. Silver Diamond Hair tail, Pearl chenille, grey saddle hackle palmered over the chenille. I'll post a pic off it below.

We were just coming out of a small cove when I cast up against shore and suddenly saw my fly disappear. It wasn't a big blow-up, just a small splash, so I was surprised when I set the hook and a freight train took off.

I new he was big, but as he sped away from shore at one point he rolled up on top I saw just how big he was and I thought I had hooked a carp. I just couldn't even believe it was a bass this big..

My friend saw him and got pretty excited about this fish also, and finally netted him for me thank goodness, I think I would have had a hard time netting him by myself.

Netted him in a measure net. His nose was at 12" and his tail at 11", that makes this a 23" Large Mouth Bass.

I have no real idea how much something like this would weigh, but is now the biggest fish I have ever caught on a fly.

Here he is, notice I am NOT holding him away from me so that he looks bigger.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the fly I got him with.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is now the biggest fish I have ever caught on a fly.

I just want to add a note about the Redington Predator 8 wt I caught him on.

This is a great rod. It was the first time I ever got to use it and at first I thought I was holding a broomstick in my hands. It took me some time to get the feel of it but after I did I really love it. It puts out super line speed and accurate casts. This fish really put the boots to me and while I think I would have been able to get him with my 6 wt BVK, the predator really let me control the fish.
cjottawa likes this.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I went to Lake Pleasant today and caught a fish...

Very nice! Congratulations!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

That is a Beauty! Congrats ! Great fly great fish ! 23 inch fish probably around 7 lbs ! That will put a bend in your rod!
piscatorial_phd likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Real nice fish, and on topwater, too! Congrats!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

That's a very nice bass - congratulations!!!!

BTW - I've been tying & fishing some gurglers lately (water's very warm here) and they have worked well.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: I went to Lake Pleasant today and caught a fish...

Congratulations as that is one great Bass and it's double the fun on a fly rod.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road

What a huge bass congrats!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great fish! Congrats! Bad pun alert: Must have been a pleasant day

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

A fish like that will definitely put a smile on your face, congrats!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

That is a beautiful fish, congratulations.
I agree, at 23" she would be in the lower 7# range.

That's a cool fly too.