The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default New outfit set-up...

I'm going to be purchasing a new muddy water set-up and I have an idea of what I want, but I'd like to hear some opinions on this rig I plan on buying. For the rod, I'm getting a 9' 7wt TFO TiCR X and for the reel, I'm looking at an Orvis Hydros LA IV or an Orvis Access Mid Arbor IV. The line is either gonna be a Rio Clouser line or a Scientific Anglers Magnum Taper like I run on my 6wt as of now. Whatcha guys think?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: New outfit set-up...

Sounds good. What are you going to be using it for? Sure you dont want to go to an 8wt for more possibilities?

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

As a complete kit, that should fine.

But why not just get an 8 weight? You already a 6. A 7 weight will perform too close to a 6. The 8 weight will offer more opportunities on the flies that you can throw.

Dennis
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Your plan sounds great, but I concur with Dennis. You already own a 6 wt so a new 8 wt would be a better fit, and there really isn't that much difference between a 6 and a 7, besides, we have seen some of those hogs you are pulling out of that muddy water an 8 would certainly fill the bill.

Larry
Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'll love the rig once I get it! I might go ahead and get the 8wt after all the recommendations.

The reason I was going for 7wt was because I plan on giving my 6wt to my sister. (She finally caught another fish and she's hooked again!) She used to fly fish for panfish with me, and she hasn't been out for a few years. She got her first taste of muddy water action too by catching a gar!

Also, I plan on getting a 9wt down the road for some smaller pike/salmon.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Okay. I did not realize that you were giving your 6 weight to your sister. I only recommended the 8 weight because of the 6 weight. Go ahead and get the 7 weight.

If you plan on lobbing super hairy or leathery 2/0 flies get a Rio Outbound Short floating line. It throws those types of flies more efficiently than the Clouser line.

Dennis
Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Okay. I did not realize that you were giving your 6 weight to your sister. I only recommended the 8 weight because of the 6 weight. Go ahead and get the 7 weight.

If you plan on lobbing super hairy or leathery 2/0 flies get a Rio Outbound Short floating line. It throws those types of flies more efficiently than the Clouser line.

Dennis
I should have said that at first.

Most of my flies are size 8 flies with either bead-chain or 1/60 lead eyes.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I can also vouche for the Rio Outbound line, that stuff is legit. it hucks the #2 clousers with 1/40 lead eyes like they arent even there...and thats on a 7 weight hehehe

Storm Drain Bonefisher