The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: After work carp quicky

Dang fish robbed you of a magnificent fight. Its like when a sibling won't act mad when you pester them. Great looking place you have there. I have gotten to the point of preferring solitude and great scenery to slamming fish, am I alone there?

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Too bad you didnt get the last fight on video. that would have been a riot to see. I will say this from catching some small carp, i've caught two now that were right about the 12-14" mark and let me tell you, if the big ones fought like that we'd all be buying 10wts to fight these things instead of 8s haha
No kidding. I think that even if I had a camera, the fight didn't last long enough for me to turn it on. I have noticed that the smaller ones do tend to fight....not harder....differently. They tend to give me faster runs and the occasional aerial - I tend to enjoy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw12 View Post
what kind of presentation do you use with carp?
It really just depends on conditions. In this place, you have to toss flies that either stay in the top of the water column (first 3") or get straight to the bottom fast and kick up some mud to draw attention. Once on the bottom, a very short strip ever couple of seconds. I don't really do this to attract the fish as much as I need to do it to feel the take since I can't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpokey View Post
Nice fish.

Nah, I use my 6wt for carp, no problem...although my largest so far is only around 18". But, if I was going after big carp I can see where my heavy rod (9wt) would be useful.
I am actually having a 6wt built for carping and smallies. At this point, though, I use an 8wt and have had more than 100 yards of backing pulled. That fish made me question my decision to have a 6wt built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfly View Post
Dang fish robbed you of a magnificent fight. Its like when a sibling won't act mad when you pester them. Great looking place you have there. I have gotten to the point of preferring solitude and great scenery to slamming fish, am I alone there?
It did, right?! That analogy is perfect, btw....lol
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

Good job BA!

Mr. P.'s Blog