The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default After work carp quicky

I ditched work a few minutes early yesterday and headed to some nearby carp waters. This water is loaded with carp but presents a several major challenges. One of those challenges is access - it's about a mile trek off road so a vehicle with some decent ground clearance is a must. A lot of times, 4x4 is required due to some extremely muddy conditions.

Once you get there, access to the water itself is tough because it is completely surrounded by trees, bushes, and thorns. This not only complicates water access, but also really complicates casting.

The final challenges is the absolute lack of visibility in the water. I would estimate visibility to be around 6" at best!! The water is so muddy, it's ridiculous. Since fly fishing for carp is such a visual game, you can imagine how much this complicates things.

Through all the challenges, I managed to hook up with three fish on flies that I got in the latest carp/catfish/bluegill swap. Two of those came on the blind squirrel that stl geoff provided.

I lost the first one when he rushed directly at me and I just could keep any tension on the line. The second escaped capture by breaking my line. It was my own fault as I made a classic mistake of not checking my leader....that baby was frayed!

So I changed leaders real quickly and tied on the popcorn ball that Joni provided. I spotted a carp sipping something from the surface so I placed the fly about two feet in front of the carp and he sucked up like it was going out of style. I set the hook, the fish swam towards shore, hit a stick and therefor spooked himself, jumped out of the water about two feet and landed on the grassy bank - fight over

From hook up to landing, it was a five second battle. While brief, it was quite entertaining!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After work carp quicky

Looks like you have found a pretty cool Carp fishing spot despite the challenges. It's always fun to catch fish from flies you have received in a fly swap. Congrats!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Sounds like a sweet time for a couple of carp! It finally rained here so I hope to be getting back at em soon, glad my flies worked well for ya. Now go tie some more. :P

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

nice golden bone
Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I have tied up several of the Blind Squirrels but have not yet had the opportunity to present to a carp but they sure catch everything else in my creeks. I recommend you more of those great flies.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

pretty fish
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys...this particular carp was probably the smallest one I have caught on the fly, but the challenge to get to the spot and to actually catchin it was what made it a rewarding catch. That and the notably short fight and self beaching.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Too bad you didnt get the last fight on video. that would have been a riot to see. I will say this from catching some small carp, i've caught two now that were right about the 12-14" mark and let me tell you, if the big ones fought like that we'd all be buying 10wts to fight these things instead of 8s haha

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

what kind of presentation do you use with carp?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Nice fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Too bad you didnt get the last fight on video. that would have been a riot to see. I will say this from catching some small carp, i've caught two now that were right about the 12-14" mark and let me tell you, if the big ones fought like that we'd all be buying 10wts to fight these things instead of 8s haha
Nah, I use my 6wt for carp, no problem...although my largest so far is only around 18". But, if I was going after big carp I can see where my heavy rod (9wt) would be useful.