The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default 38" Carp on White Streamer

I was fishing for smallmouth bass when this target of opportunity came upstream to see what all the commotion was about when I caught a nice 18" smallmouth.

As I saw this bulge come through the water, I put my Shenk's White Minnow streamer 5' or 6' in front of him to catch his attention. He stopped, tailed and went straight for the streamer on the bottom. As soon as I saw my line twitch in the gentle current I set the hook and ZOOM! This rascal took off so fast that I didn't have to wind slack line onto the reel. It probably took me 10-15 minutes to land him on a 3x tippet.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: 38" Carp on White Streamer

They are a load, huh? Is that an 8wt? -m
Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Broke off on a fatty this morning on 2x
Nice job!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Surprise!!!!!!!!!!
piscatorial_phd likes this.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

It is indeed an 8wt Redington RS4. I bought it as a backup inshore saltwater rod from a clearance rack for $45 (lifetime warranty) a couple of years ago. Last year, I let a friend use my primary rod and I used the RS4. I haven't touched my other rod since. It is a fast action rod that really sends the big wind resistant bass bugs, big saltwater poppers and heavily weighted streamers through the wind with ease.

My only complaint is that the fighting butt gets in the way a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
They are a load, huh? Is that an 8wt? -m
Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice, congrats!
piscatorial_phd likes this.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
I let a friend use my primary rod and I used the RS4
Thought so. I have a 3 and a 5 as back ups. They were both gifts, and are great rods. Wish mine were 4 pc, but they are not...I still fish them some, but lend them a lot.-m
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

That's a great lean and healthy looking fish - nice!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM

I have caught lots of carp over the years, and you are right about the condition of this fish. Very swift and strong in the water. Even as a kid when my friends would make fun of my carp fishing, I thought they were quite beautiful creatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
That's a great lean and healthy looking fish - nice!

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

It took all the care with a 3x on an 8wt rod I could muster. I have a friend who plays them like a big brownie on 5x... A very skilled angler, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Broke off on a fatty this morning on 2x
Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Nice fish.