The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Is this a KY Spotted Bass? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/291146-ky-spotted-bass.html)

piscatorial_phd 07-12-2012 07:08 PM

Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
I have a friend who owns a 130 acre private lake that has 46" muskie, northern pike, hybrid bass, crappie, monster bluegill, etc, but I keep catching bass of the 1-2lb. size, but nothing larger. We're talking about 50+ bass each time I go and all the same muskie munchin' size.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...otted_bass.jpg

Here's a small hybrid (or is that a white bass?) on the fly.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...509/hybrid.jpg

mbphotos54 07-12-2012 09:56 PM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
looks like a spottie to me,, I should know. nice lil stripe.

piscatorial_phd 07-13-2012 06:16 AM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbphotos54 (Post 470749)
looks like a spottie to me

I thought so. I said something to my friend about the bass seeming to have reached their growth potential at 2-3 lbs. He stocked it 10 years ago and was expecting 8-10lb largemouth, but it just isn't happening.

mbphotos54 07-13-2012 08:12 AM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
thats a big OOPS haha. they still fight good, most of the bass I catch are these, unless its a smallie I just call them all bass anyway. and I would take catching 50 of those in a day over 1 big LM bass any day.. just more fun that way. time to have some trophy bass stocked, could bring about some neat hybrids.
Mike

piscatorial_phd 07-13-2012 08:38 AM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbphotos54 (Post 470811)
thats a big OOPS haha. they still fight good, most of the bass I catch are these, unless its a smallie I just call them all bass anyway. and I would take catching 50 of those in a day over 1 big LM bass any day.. just more fun that way. time to have some trophy bass stocked, could bring about some neat hybrids.
Mike

No question these are fun to catch...very aggressive. We are working on a "Bass Safari" on his lake and we both think we need some monsters to entice our clientele. He just wants to truck in a bunch of largemouth fry, but I am telling him that we need to stock the big boys, because the fry will just get eaten by the spotted bass.

stl_geoff 07-13-2012 12:10 PM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
That would be a white bass, the hybrids have the black lines broken at the mid section of their bodys. the stripes drop down a row of scales midway

piscatorial_phd 07-13-2012 01:09 PM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stl_geoff (Post 470842)
That would be a white bass, the hybrids have the black lines broken at the mid section of their bodys. the stripes drop down a row of scales midway

Thanks for the information! The owner said he had never seen one in his lake and we assumed that it was accidentally stocked with the other bass 10 years ago.

jcw355 07-13-2012 04:52 PM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
Also feel the "tongue" in its mouth and notice the hinge on its mouth when it's closed, these also help I.D. a spotted bass.

mbphotos54 07-13-2012 05:43 PM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd (Post 470813)
No question these are fun to catch...very aggressive. We are working on a "Bass Safari" on his lake and we both think we need some monsters to entice our clientele. He just wants to truck in a bunch of largemouth fry, but I am telling him that we need to stock the big boys, because the fry will just get eaten by the spotted bass.

need to stock them as big or bigger then the spotties for sure.

kylebass91 07-13-2012 07:25 PM

Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?
 
IDK what yall think, but that looks like a largemmouth to me, and also thats a white bass. I catch them all the time at Ute.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.