The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: What I learned about a 3WT

Sounds like a possibility! I'll see if I can make that work as well, never caught a proper striper before, only freshwater wipers. Budget's gonna be tight this year with the whole wedding thing in December but I'll see how the gasoline rationing goes!

As far as keeping with the thread subject, wish I had a 3wt here with me in Sweden, but I let a buddy borrow my 4pc and my 2pc 2/3 was just a bit too long to fit in the rod tube I brought along... Next year I think I'll be doubling the number of rods that come along...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-04-2012, 04:52 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I took my 'Loomis Whisper Creek 8'8" out the first time to the East Walker River and thought i would give it try. Put on a dry and caught a 16" brown. Found out the 3wt was a great small trout rod the hard way! Lots of fun, took better than 10 min to get him to net, and 10 min to rest him before letting him go. Caught a 15-16" brown the next day on the 5wt and decided on the Walker, bigger fish, bigger rod!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Keep in mind that all three weights are not created equal and that's really true when talking length. A nine or ten ft three weight has a foot or more of beefy butt at times giving you a stronger rod to fall back on once that tip flex is taken out during a fight. A 7 ft 9 three weight has little of that stronger butt. As for double hauling, both my 7'9" three weights and the 9 ft three weight does great but you do have to adjust your haul to three weight strength versus what you might do with a nine.
mcnerney likes this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

I have a 7'6" 3wt that makes me giggle like a school girl when I hook up a largemouth. Even a small, 8"-10" fish feels like the fight of the century. I bought the rod for the wifey, but I use it quite a bit more than my bigger rods.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I have a 7'6" 3wt that makes me giggle like a school girl when I hook up a largemouth. Even a small, 8"-10" fish feels like the fight of the century. I bought the rod for the wifey, but I use it quite a bit more than my bigger rods.
My 7'6" 3-weight has the same affect on me. I run light tippets on it so I can pop the tippet if I don't feel I can bring the fish in quickly enough to release it before exhaustion sets in.
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

I own a Orvis Helios 3wt. The rod is 8'4" a 4 pc and I got the "Mid Flex"

It's the lightest rod in the world! I simply love that rod, and I don't seem to use anything else.

A couple weeks ago, I caught this mid sized approx: 8lb carp with this 3wt. I had a 4X leader on with good knots. No problem, a wonderful thrill with a light rod.

I used to only use a 1wt. I only fish for 'gills and small stream trout, so I like a rod that has a bend when a small fish is on.

I have nothing to do with Orvis, but I love their top shelf rods. When this water goes down a bit, I think I'll get a Helios 2 in a 7wt? I agree with Nick, the 7 wts are underrated!

All fly rods are not the same, by any means. If you have a passion for fly fishing, I'd say get a good one! The Sage "One" is also a good rod? But IMHO I think the Helios is the best available today!

Click the image to open in full size.
nick k likes this.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I mainly use a 2wt now for largemouth, and they really are a hell of a lot of fun on such light rods.

I don't really agree about the double haul being useless though. Maybe it depends on your rod action but I definitely get more distance out of my Superfine Touch when I haul and double hall.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I went looking for a 3wt a few years ago in a 6' rod but I did not find one but I did find a 2wt and it is the only rod I fish on the small creeks around here. Sunfish and SMB are the main course and it does just fine. It does not like the wind but these creeks are all down and sheltered so wind is seldom an issue. I do have some bigger rods for the salt and bass but seldom use them. I do use a 7wt when chasing large carp. (which I have yet to catch) I do like my short light rods. I also have a 5wt 6' that is almost as fun as the 2wt and yes, I too, use a double haul with my light rods.
nick k likes this.