The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default What I learned about a 3WT

I rarely fish anything lighter than a 5WT but since I built a 10' 3WT this winter for all the nymphing I don't do, I figured it should get some use. Here's what I learned at the watershed today:
- muscles are useless on 3wt
- a double haul is only mildly effective
- the wind is not your friend...
Once I got out of the saltwater frame of mind, got out of the wind and fixed my cast I learned the largemouth on a 3WT are a blast!

Click the image to open in full size.

mcnerney and caseywise like this.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:23 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What I learned about a 3WT

It is always amazig to switch between a larger and smaller rod. Im sure those bass (and gill for that matter) was a blast on a 3 wt. I have a 5 and bluegill double it over.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Looks like a good outing!

I had my 3wt out this evening, a nice crappie and a few decent bluegills for my efforts. It was a bit windy with a very light rain falling and a McGinty got their attention.

Forget the roll casting into the wind with the 3wt, too. Couldn't fish a couple spots I usually try because of the wind.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was. Everything stopped when the bass hit that bugger, including my breathing. The rod was doubled over and I just had to wait them out. Il be out with it again real soon. I think I need to build an 8' 3wt now

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Looks like a good outing!

I had my 3wt out this evening, a nice crappie and a few decent bluegills for my efforts. It was a bit windy with a very light rain falling and a McGinty got their attention.

Forget the roll casting into the wind with the 3wt, too. Couldn't fish a couple spots I usually try because of the wind.
I learned that the hard way. The line just hung up in the wind like a kite.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Nice. I needed my 3wt yesterday but forgot it at home. That won't happen again! What reel is that on yours?

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
Nice. I needed my 3wt yesterday but forgot it at home. That won't happen again! What reel is that on yours?
That's the Allen alpha 3/4.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: What I learned about a 3WT

When I lived in Colorado I fished Spinney Reservoir a lot and I started with a 5 wt sage 9 foot RPL and after a couple years I switched to a 3wt Sage 9 foot RPL and on big trout I lost a few more but the fun factor was way up. There it didn't matter how well you cast because you made your best cast and then just slowly trolled nymphs on a sink tip line.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Great fun. I find that the soft landing of the flies and poppers when using smaller rods equate to more strikes and hookups. I lost a 5lb. bass because I couldn't get the hook in his jaw with my 3wt, but I don't think the fish would have hit my small popper if it was delivered with a splash anyway. Great post.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Loving the classic Allen reel I love my 2/3wt, glad to see another join the lightweight club, Marco. Try and find some midsize carp and throw the 3wt at 'em! I gotta find out when I can head your way this fall, but worse comes to worst I'll see you at Somerset!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Loving the classic Allen reel I love my 2/3wt, glad to see another join the lightweight club, Marco. Try and find some midsize carp and throw the 3wt at 'em! I gotta find out when I can head your way this fall, but worse comes to worst I'll see you at Somerset!
We'll try to hit the Fall Classic in Island Beach State Park this year. I have place down the shore that's just outside the park, we can crash there and fish all weekend if I can get the time off.