The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By biggie_robs
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default 24" Ohio Largemouth - Hexagenia Hatch

Nighttime video, but good enough that you can tell that this bass is a good size for small public lake. I just tied this new fly an hour or so before fishing. I think I will tie a few more, now. The fly is loosely patterned after Harry Murray's Mr. Rapidan Skater. I will post fly pics in a day or two.

All I could see when I set the hook was this hole open up in the water under my fly. A bit of a gentle slurp, until I set the hook. I was sure the bass was going to throw my barbless hook, but good tension and a moderate drag saved tippet and photo op.

Last edited by piscatorial_phd; 07-26-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: 24" Ohio Largemouth - Hexagenia Hatch

Nice fish!

Congrats!
piscatorial_phd likes this.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you have a winner with that fly. What a great fish you landed, congrats on that. I'd love to see a photo of the pattern you used and the recipe if you don't mind.
piscatorial_phd likes this.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Looks like you have a winner with that fly. What a great fish you landed, congrats on that. I'd love to see a photo of the pattern you used and the recipe if you don't mind.
The pattern I tied is based on Harry Murray's Mr. Rapidan Skater that he introduced to me a decade or so ago. I also tie a cream and white version that does well during the day, but this is my night version when the hexagenia are taking off the water.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hook: Size 8 Mustad 9672 Streamer Hook
Thread: Danville 6/0. A little heavy for dry, but I like it on my bass flies. It is probably 140-170 denier.
Tail: Brown Kiptail
Body: Light Antron Dubbing, Palmered Chartreuse Grizzly Hackle
Wing: Yellow Kiptail
Hackle: Brown