The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough
Smile A day on the river is SW Ohio

OK, so here is my first result oriented posting. Lets see if these pics work.

I set my alarm clock for 5:30 this past Saturday. Being a little excited to test out my new rod I woke up at 4:40 and headed out the door. Friday I received my new rod in the mail. Nothing spectactular, but new and fully functional. It was a 9' 7/8wt Scientific Angler loaded with 8wt WFF.

After a short drive (35 min) I arrived at the tailwater of Eastfork Lake a little East of Cincinnati. I was about 1/2 mile below the dam.

Click the image to open in full size.

So I broke out the new rod, put my gear on and headed to the water.

While choosing which way to start I realized that I wasn't alone.

Oh well, at least it is unlikely that they will judge my "wonderful" casting skills. So I wade in to about belt depth and start fishing. It was a wonderful morning. Probably 64 degrees with a slight breeze and overcast. The first hit was fairly quick.

Little fella just couldn't resist what I had to offer.

I don't need to put any other pics on here since the others that were landed were all about the same size. Beginner fish for a beginner, how perfect. I did, however, meet my first nemisis. I was casting a size (roughly) 8 bead head when I got a dramatic hit. (I later walked down and measured the branch of the downed tree that he covered up while airborne. It was a 15" branch.) I set the hook, but the line came lose in my hand. I thought he had spit it out, but he didn't. The tippet failed 1/8" below the knot, so I'm guessing I didn't wet the line before cinching the knot. I was using Rio 8lb tippet. I tried a wolly bugger and a cone head to no avail. He was done with me for the day.

I found another friend that I plan to vist again until we meet face to face. I cast against another down tree in the next pool up river. I caught a tree!! What sucks is that as I was creping forward to free the fly by hand (it wouldn't shake lose) another smallmouth jumped out of the water. He was right at the spot I was casting too, and I was 10 feet from him, and 3 feet from my fly when he made his presence known. I'm sure I chased him off by walking into his house, I didn't see any more feeding around that tree while I was on the water. Plus that was the last of the action I received on the trip. In size I had no reference behind him to guess by, but I did see a large slab of beautiful fish as he left the water. I'm guessing a little smaller than the earlier fish I lost.

I am going to replace the line on the rod as soon as I can though. It was a kit ordered on line. I have the feeling that it was spooled a while ago and sat on the shelf. Each time I stripped line it stayed concentrated in a lump. So every other, or every third cast was stopped by a tangle trying unsuccessfully to make it's way thru the eye. It was a cheap kit and the rod performed at least up to my abilities, so I'm happy.

So 5 fish and 2 sightings on an early morning jaunt...This is kinda fun!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A day on the river is SW Ohio

Sounds like a great first outting, and you gained some knowledge about the water for the next trip. Try stretching that line to see if that will solve the coil issue before you buy a new line.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Your pictures look wonderful, thanks for taking time to write up this post. I'm partial to the first one. Really nice shot! Sounds as though you had a productive day on the water, congrats on that.

Good advice from Larry, give that line a good stretch and you might also want to wash it with dish soap & water and also treat it with some sort of line treatment. You may as well try and get the most out of it since it is new line and use that money towards the waders you mentioned in your other post.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

That is a nice looking stream. Wished I was there. Heat index 105 today. Hotter each day as the week advances. .....Just staying in the a/c.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Great start. Anytime you are catching fish it is all good. BTW, what is your opinion of the new rod now that you have cast it a number of times and landed some fish?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM

The rod was a step up in weight for me so it took a little while to get any distance from it. The most blatant issue that distracted me the most was the line issue described above. I will give it a good stretch before the next trip. Being new I currently lack the experience to rate the function. As for form I noticed a few things. The ferrules held tight the whole trip, I didn't have to re-set them like I sometimes do on my other rod. I'm not sure if the male and female parts of the ferrules are made concentric or tapered, but on heavy casts there were slight clicking feelings as if the connections were shifting with the flex. I could also feel the cork shift under the load during those heavy casts, but I could very easily be putting more force into it than necessar

When all is said and done I am happy with it. It only cost $70 with shipping for the rod, reel and all the lines. I can easily deal with a little clicking as I learn what she has to teach me. Plus, she does catch fish.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by recriger View Post
I am going to replace the line on the rod as soon as I can though. It was a kit ordered on line. I have the feeling that it was spooled a while ago and sat on the shelf. Each time I stripped line it stayed concentrated in a lump. So every other, or every third cast was stopped by a tangle trying unsuccessfully to make it's way thru the eye. It was a cheap kit and the rod performed at least up to my abilities, so I'm happy.
Before you buy new line you can try this:

Soak the line in warm (not hot) water for about 10 minutes. Then, take the line out and wrap it around some objects 20-30' apart. When I store my line for the season I clean it, dress and then hang it in the basement in large loose loops. If you do this, be sure to label the reel and leader side.

It might save you a little $$.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by recriger View Post
I'm not sure if the male and female parts of the ferrules are made concentric or tapered, but on heavy casts there were slight clicking feelings as if the connections were shifting with the flex.
I think you would benefit from applying ferrule wax and being sure you do a 1/4 twist to seat the ferrule. It is possible to break your rod the ferrules are not seated properly.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM

redleg155 is on a distinguished road

Piscatorial:

I like the line storage idea. Great! Makes all kinds of sense. I think I will try that.

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:29 AM

Talking Re: A day on the river is SW Ohio

So I went fishing again this Sunday. I took my 5wt this time since I woke up late. I was going to stretch the 8wt line, but I was so sore from building a retaining wall for the in-laws that I just wanted to get into the cool water and forget it all.

It started off well. I was catching in the stair step approach. Smallies in order of 10", 8" then 5". Those Bead head wolly buggers sure are popular. So I worked my way on down the river. Much to my surprise I got a huge hook up on one of my rather poorly performed backcasts. So I turned and the fight was on! We fought and pulled-- He lept with glee! But it was for nothing; my line broke again, and my dream tree got away. Jerk took my wolly bugger with him!

Nothing else I had in my fly box could produce a hit for the rest of the trip. Or I guess It could have been the kayak's and that metal canoe that I have never seen on this stretch before; dragging across the rocks and laughing like little children. I could hear them for 10 minutes before I could see them. Once they cleared the rocks they proceeded down the river the way I was heading spin casting what sounded like 2 pound spinners into all the nooks and cranies.

Ah well, public river I guess. The funny part, at least I thought so, was when both groups rounded the curve that brought me into view there was one person from each that said "Hay, he's fly fishing!" With such surprise in their voices I kept thinking to myself, "Hay, there's a Unicorn spitting up a rainbow!" Fly fishing must Be a mystical past time around here, or perhaps it's jealousy.
trout_onfly_junkie likes this.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

"Hey he's fly fishing!" is a refrain I hear often as well, more often when I'm fishing in Florida than NY though. Wish I was hearing the refrain today, as I'd love to be fishing right now; I'd like to think we hear it out of jealousy, but I'd be more than happy to introduce fly fishing to any such jealous party

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...