The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of
Default Sink Tip for 9wt Predator

Hey! Long time lurker.. First time poster...

I live along the upper Mississippi river.. I would like to take advantage of the great fishing opportunities of the dam systems.. 10' T-14's seem to work fine for the slower.. yet still fast.. spillways.. and I can toss them fine with my 8'3" 9wt Predator that's over-lined with WF10F Precision Pike.. Slows the rod down a bit.. but very comfortable to cast.. my question is what size sink tip should I try or can i get away with on my setup.. This would be in conditions that normally involve the use of jigs/lures in the 1oz+ range.. and 2-4oz sinkers to stay in place... when using conventional tackle... 36000+cfs discharge at the dam.. I'd like to get down as deep as possible or at least be heavy enough to not be instantly spit to shore by the current

Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sink Tip for 9wt Predator

I would use 28 to 30 feet of T-14 as a shooting head with an intermediate shooting line. That is 392 to 420 grains. Your rod should be handle that. I know of guys who use that much mass on that rod in the California Delta.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sink Tip for 9wt Predator

I don't have the predator but I realy like the Rio Outbound I/S8 in all weights. It's a great line and You can get it for about $50 shipped on Ebay. I use that or the SA T-14 Custom Tip Express, and cut it to between 375gr and 400gr on my 9wt rods(bassically the same theing Mosca posted above).