The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Hook set: Rod, strip, both?

Quick question: I've read conflicting advice quite a lot regarding how to set the hook on a fish.

Should I use a long, or quick strip with the rod still pointing at the fly? Should I use a strip and a slight rod flick? A bass-fishing, monster rod sweep?

I'm still figuring out things and this is one I'm still not 100% sure about.

Thanks,
Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hook set: Rod, strip, both?

It's been my experience that it's one of those things that you have to develop as you go for different species, and sometimes different situations. For me, I probably use a strip strike more than anything, then raise the rod to get the pressure on the fish. Took me a long time to get out of the habit of striking with the rod. I still do it with other tackle, and have even gotten away from the cross their eyes Bassmaster type hook sets with other tackle. Still, it's a hard habit to break & sometimes I still get carried away.

Most of the fishing I do is for bass, or Striped Bass & they tend to hit hard, so strip strikes work well, as many times they'll hook themselves. When I fish for panfish, I still just lift the rod, even though my intention is to use a strip strike. They often hook themselves too.

My biggest challenge is with topwater flies, since seeing the strike and reacting is natural, and striking with the rod is natural. Still, I know to be patient, not over react & strip strike when I feel the pull. Just doesn't always work as I intend!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Small fish like trout and panfish, I lift the rod and give a short strip just to make sure all slack is out of the line. At least that is what I THINK I do, it all happens so fast!

For larger species, I strip set. Striped bass can be tough to get the hook in to so a sudden jolt on the line usually gets the job done.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:00 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Shouldn't be but actually a tough question to give a simple answer. Think it depends on the species and your expectation of the size. Generally a hard strip seems to work on most fish but then there are exceptions. With Hard mouthed boney head tarpon and a standard saltwater hook one hard strip probably ain't gonna cut it unless you back it up with
2 or three more strips or hard lifts. Then again the same tarpon on a circle hook letting him run against pressure does the job by letting the hook set in the corner of his mouth( in theorymost of the time). Then there's bottom fish with relatively small mouths that a strip will pull the fly away where as a lift at the right moment will hookup.
Many times when stripping with bigger fish in mind I try to think that every strip could be a hookup. That works until you get distracted just for a second then it's what dud I just screw up.
And how bout small panfish . You get in a rhythm where all you have to do is clamp your fingers on the stripped line and your in. Yeah until the big largemouth comes out of nowhere and by doing that either you break him off or he instantly leaps against the no hibe stop and he breaks the tippet or throws it. So even though it's panfish I guess the strip and being alert makes a difference. Salmon and other quick starters like pristine strip and some side pressure tend to work for me. Bangers like Stripers , Largemouths and Smallies a good strip. And like said over time you get a feelfor what your after and what works.
Just don't ask about how to do it with Longnose Gar. Jury still out on that one for me.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Longnose require a fairly slick fly and a hard slip strike (using the rod and the line hand), plus a doubled hook, salmon style, fly.

Other than that the advice above is spot on--use a variety of strikes depending on species, rod flex, manner of fishing, etc etc.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I think a strip strike is THE way to go but after 60 years of using the rod habit I find it hard to change. Real light tippets and small hooks should probably dictated a rod strike.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confuse things even more
... big fish, fast water, light tippet, you should use a slip strike... yeah slip not strip
You lift the rod tip while releasing the line, picking the fish with the hook while protecting the tippet with slack line