The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bass/Crappie Flies?

Here's s few flies I tied up yesterday. I use these primarily for perch or Crappies, but they'll work on other species too. Very simple patterns, and for me they work best in shallow water.

The fly in the upper right is an all white Seaducer. All 4 are tied on size 6 Gamakatsu B10S stinger hooks and I'm tying with Danville Depth Ray Nylon thread in Fire Orange.

The other 3 are simple feather wing streamers, 2 pairs of saddle hackle tips to each side of the wing. I usually use 3 pairs, but on smaller sizes 2 work fine.

The body is saltwater size silver holographic Flashabou wrapped along the hook shank & the flash is fine size silver holographic Flashabou. One has the flash tied in with the wing (upper left), the other 2 have it tied as a tail. Both ways will work, but you'll get less fouling with it tied in the tail.

Although I didn't do it on these, most times when I tie patterns such as this, I tie all the bodies first, and give them a coat or 2 of Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails, then after that's dried completely, tie the fly. The body coating really adds a lot of durability to them and it also magnifies the body flash. I've over wrapped with vinyl body materials too at times, which fattens up the body a bit & adds a little weight, plus aids the durability.

The collar is wrapped saddle, same as the wing material, and some of the marabou like "fluff" at the base of the hackle is left on. I like the extra movement that fluff gives to the fly as it will breath with every strip.

Hope you like them!

Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:10 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Here's s few flies I tied up yesterday. I use these primarily for perch or Crappies, but they'll work on other species too. Very simple patterns, and for me they work best in shallow water.

The fly in the upper right is an all white Seaducer. All 4 are tied on size 6 Gamakatsu B10S stinger hooks and I'm tying with Danville Depth Ray Nylon thread in Fire Orange.

The other 3 are simple feather wing streamers, 2 pairs of saddle hackle tips to each side of the wing. I usually use 3 pairs, but on smaller sizes 2 work fine.

The body is saltwater size silver holographic Flashabou wrapped along the hook shank & the flash is fine size silver holographic Flashabou. One has the flash tied in with the wing (upper left), the other 2 have it tied as a tail. Both ways will work, but you'll get less fouling with it tied in the tail.

Although I didn't do it on these, most times when I tie patterns such as this, I tie all the bodies first, and give them a coat or 2 of Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails, then after that's dried completely, tie the fly. The body coating really adds a lot of durability to them and it also magnifies the body flash. I've over wrapped with vinyl body materials too at times, which fattens up the body a bit & adds a little weight, plus aids the durability.

The collar is wrapped saddle, same as the wing material, and some of the marabou like "fluff" at the base of the hackle is left on. I like the extra movement that fluff gives to the fly as it will breath with every strip.

Hope you like them!

Those are nice! and i think i have enough material layin around to try to make a few of those.. Let me know how they work for you!
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I've been pretty successful lately on ponds (largemouth) using clouser style minnows, tied in 6 and 4 size stinger hooks. I tie in a grizzly hackle feather on each side to mimic the lateral line, or a ginger or black feather, dark olive bucktail on top with white bucktail and krystal flash on the bottom. I use both chain bead and dumbell eyes depending on how fast I want to go deep. Bigger flies have produced the large bass. These minnows were killer when the poppers weren't working on anything but the smaller bass. I just started tying so they aren't the best to look at. I'll try and post a picture.

Thanks for posting those flies reidsisk...I'll tie some up. Heading out tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I've been pretty successful lately on ponds (largemouth) using clouser style minnows, tied in 6 and 4 size stinger hooks. I tie in a grizzly hackle feather on each side to mimic the lateral line, or a ginger or black feather, dark olive bucktail on top with white bucktail and krystal flash on the bottom. I use both chain bead and dumbell eyes depending on how fast I want to go deep. Bigger flies have produced the large bass. These minnows were killer when the poppers weren't working on anything but the smaller bass. I just started tying so they aren't the best to look at. I'll try and post a picture.

Thanks for posting those flies reidsisk...I'll tie some up. Heading out tomorrow afternoon.
Those were bigjim's flies. i couldnt make flies that nice no matter how hard i tried.... I just got into fly tying, so im still learning stuff.

I havent had any luck with the clouser minnows around here... the only sub surface fly ive had success with is a white wooly bugger. I made a bunch of briminators the other day that im looking forward to trying.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

You'll have good results with the Briminator. It's a great fly.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Ok. Thanks reidsisk and thanks bigjim. Here are my ugly minnows. Gotta get better at figuring out how much buck tail to use. The heads/noses on these are getting a little fat. Anyway the green/whites are working well. Gonna try out the more colorful one's out tomorrow. And if there is time, gonna tie up some of bigjims.

reidsisk likes this.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:18 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Shotgunfly....I believe that you have tied some of your clousers upside down. These flys with the eyes tied in on top of the hook will actually fish with the hook in the up position so the dark portion of the wing should be on the hook side/bottom of the hook. Most bait fish have dark backs. Just a thought.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I'll start tying them the other way. For now these have been working for me. Maybe they'll work even better the other way. Probably should have googled that. D'OH!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Nice flies, shotgun! i also made some Gartside Gurglers. two white and one orange with white tail. id post pictures, but my fly tying skills are horrible...
Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Bass/Crappie Flies?

Shotgun fly, I've been looking your flies over, and they only need some tweaking I think. Besides reversing the colors, which is not a set in stone rule, as sometimes what you have can be productive. On a size 4 or 6 hook, you want to be selective with the hair. IMO, they could be better with a finer textured hair. If you have any buck tails that are extremely fine in texture, then that's what you should be using.

Also, select more from the upper third of the tail, towards the tip end. I appears that some of the hair you're using is flaring a little. The finer hair, and from closer to the tip of the tail will help slim down your flies.

Otherwise, I like the way you've included some grizzly hackle & other things that are not used on Clouser's normally. I believe sometimes changing things a bit, and tying flies the fish may not have seen before helps make them more productive.

Another possibility for tying small size Clouser's is using a finer hair, such as fox tail. I tie a lot with fox & with coyote tail both of which are usually much finer hair, and I particularly like them for small size Clouser's.

Just some suggestions.
shotgunfly likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!