The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bass/Crappie Flies?

I need a lot of help with tying... i completely understand everything, but my flies arent nearly as good as theyre supposed to be... but i guess thats because i just started tying

I need help picking out materials for fly tying.. I know that hackle is a necessity, same with feathers, but im sorta stuck with colors.. do bass have a preference with colors? Should i just stock up on everything eventually?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks bigjim. There are a lot of videos out there but few actually tell you or show what part of the bucktail they cut from. I'll take your suggestions and work some up.

Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
s.. do bass have a preference with colors? Should i just stock up on everything eventually?
Good question. I ended up getting a ton of different colors of bucktail, feathers, deer body hair and thread. Just in case I get a wild hair and want to try something different. I will say that the olive/white combination on the minnows (better matched what they were chasing in the shallows) did better than the white/silver minnow. All anecdotal info of course. Who knows, maybe today the more outlandish colors will work.

The local fly shop put me onto baby/sky blue poppers to fish the river for small mouth. While white and orange worked the blue ones produced more and bigger fish.
On another home water the orange was the key.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Interesting.. ive had zero hits on my orange popper. tons of hits on a deer hair frog/diver, and ive hooked some monsters on a large yellow popper that doenst have a long . i have another yellow popper that has very long hackle and ive had no luck with that. its definitely something thats different for each lake/river and such.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I'll start tying them the other way. For now these have been working for me. Maybe they'll work even better the other way. Probably should have googled that. D'OH!
for sure, if you put a smile on popper you have opened the possibility of catching a trophy
Click the image to open in full size.

Popper simply: hook №6, a piece of foam (from slippers), red tail some yarn, any thread up 140 denier

This bass was caught on this smiling popper

A simple fry: hook #1/0, big bead chain eyes, body some synthetic from handle gift bag (strong material), under body silver flashabou tinsel (taken from the Christmas decorations)

As you can see that bass was tempted by this streamer
now going to go fishing on the smiling popper...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argail View Post
for sure, if you put a smile on popper you have opened the possibility of catching a trophy

Popper simply: hook №6, a piece of foam (from slippers), red tail some yarn, any thread up 140 denier

This bass was caught on this smiling popper

A simple fry: hook #1/0, big bead chain eyes, body some synthetic from handle gift bag (strong material), under body silver flashabou tinsel (taken from the Christmas decorations)

As you can see that bass was tempted by this streamer
now going to go fishing on the smiling popper...
I was thinkin about trying some of those flip flop poppers. I was going to try to glue some craft foam sheets together that i have. Not sure how well it will work. Tried my Gurgler today. zero bites.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Bass will eat anything, so many colors or combinations will work at different times. IMO, contrasting colors can be very affective most of the time, and those combinations that mimic something natural are usually productive. Most Clouser's that I tie are something with a dark back & white belly. I particularly like olive over white, grey over white, chartreuse over white, and black over white, but, in my fly boxes I have many other colors too. You really have to let the bass tell you what they want and the only way to do that, is have some variety and experiment with what you have.

However, keep in mind that motion & presentation is often more important than the actual colors you choose. So, you'll want your flies to have qualities other than just color, and how & where you present them plays a big role in how successful you'll be with them on any given day!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post

However, keep in mind that motion & presentation is often more important than the actual colors you choose. So, you'll want your flies to have qualities other than just color, and how & where you present them plays a big role in how successful you'll be with them on any given day!
This is so true! For real estate it's location, location, location, but when it comes to bass it's action, action, action. They're like underwater tigers, and you want them to not be able to help themselves but attack your fly.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I'll call this the 50/50 fly days. The first day 50 crappie on nymphs.[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

On the second day 50 on muddlers minnows.

Guess you can say different day, different fly.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Even more confusing this guy took a #20 pink scud

And these guys took muddlers
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Today i caught 3 bream on a red and white clouser. size #6. and i missed some HARD hits on a size 4 Muddler minnow, then i caught a bream on the muddler. Just thought id let yall know!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:07 PM

What size eyes should i buy to use for a clouser minnow? id say on a size 4 hook