The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 07:22 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default How to fish a popper properly?

Hi, I have yet another newbie question: Do you "pop" a popper using the rod to twitch it (like you would do on a heddon torpedo for spin fishing), or do you use strips?

I ask this because I'm finding that stipping alone is exhausting and requires extremely long and hard strips....not fun to me. I wanted to ask to see what you guys do, or if I'm missing a better technique. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to fish a popper properly?

both.

strip to tighten the line then pop it with the rod tip.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Okay, so maybe I'm not insane . I was doing small strips to take up slack, then monster strips (reaching up by the stripping guide) trying to pop the sucker. I'll just do it like I was doing my spin fishing poppers

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Don't over think it. What does a like a grasshopper look like when on the water, try that. Fish can hear way better than we can so a light pop is pretty loud to them. Point rod directly at the popper all the time so movment comes from your hand. On a tight line pops don't take in much line. On slack line then you gotta do a lot of stripping.

If you don't get a hit from this then try more noisy. Vary the movement. sometimes just barely moving works best.

I sometimes use the popper as attractor with small flashy nymph (Tellico is a favorite) on 12" dropper behind the popper. When time are good you'll double up. If they bite then quit, change colors.

Hold on as rest assured a big bass will make a huge appearance on one of your trips for sure. Some real beasts tear in on small poppers.

Pete A.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM

coachbob is on a distinguished road

Stripping should provide plenty of movement for a good popper. The key is "good" popper. A popper with a concave face will move a lot of water with only a little effort. I never do anthing more strenuous than a strip. A good panfish popper only takes little strips.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Don't know if this will help at all, but try out the non-slip mono loop knot. It has helped me add a little more movement to poppers, among other flies.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How to fish a popper properly?

Poppers can be "Popped" in many different ways depending on what action or imitation you are looking to impart. Hard long line strips will push water foward in spurts imitating fleeing baitfish. Shorter strips with a downward motion will cause a pop like struggling prey. Juggling the rod tip with out any line motion has the effect of something that landed and wants to get away. Short stop and go can look like a retreating frog. Stripping and moving the rod tip from side to side is snake like and can bring big strikes. Try various approachs until you find the most consistent one for the area and species you are after.
Long time ago I was two hand stripping a big popper in saltwater for bluefish. This guy says to me slow down you'll get more fish. With that a blue smashs my popper to go along with the 5 I had already landed. There are times that every retrieve is hot and times that you have to match the action. The only way to know is to experiment and find what works for you.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I let my poppers sit with no movement most often. They sit still most of the time and most of the strikes I get come after 5 seconds or so. When I do move then its often just a very minute twitch to get the rubber legs to move. And Lastly I will give them a twitch usually with the rod tip just to make one small pop. I never retrieve them in popping along the way.
By the way I am fishing smallies exclusively.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

The only proper way is the way that catches fish. Experiment, experiment, experiment until you discover what is right for that day and that fishery under those conditions.
williamhj likes this.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I let my poppers sit with no movement most often. They sit still most of the time and most of the strikes I get come after 5 seconds or so. When I do move then its often just a very minute twitch to get the rubber legs to move. And Lastly I will give them a twitch usually with the rod tip just to make one small pop. I never retrieve them in popping along the way.
By the way I am fishing smallies exclusively.
I'll second this approach. I get most strikes within the first few seconds of splashing the popper down. And I do mean splashing them down. Make some noise. If no hit right away, that small second twitch will often convince any lookers to pounce. I'll seldom pop it more than a couple of times after that.

And I'm fishing largemouths, though mostly river-dwelling ones that act more like smallies than their stillwater bretheren. I'll acknowledge that fishing ponds or lakes might take a little different approach. Popping there might make more sense.

Like everyone has said. Experiment and see what works in your neck of the woods.

Sep