The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broke my rod... what to do?

Few on the board give better gear advise than MoscaPescador. Now that he's got you moving in the right direction...

I have heard nothing but great things about both the Helios and Access. Consider this though, you have a chance to get the Helios for a significant discount. If you are now off the Sage Bass rod kick, you could get a killer rod for less than you'd pay for the two. You might not be experienced now, but when you get there, you'll have a killer rod. You can't make a bad choice given their generosity. For your type of fishing, I would steer away from the Superfine if you haven't already ruled it out.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 AM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Few on the board give better gear advise than MoscaPescador. Now that he's got you moving in the right direction...

I have heard nothing but great things about both the Helios and Access. Consider this though, you have a chance to get the Helios for a significant discount. If you are now off the Sage Bass rod kick, you could get a killer rod for less than you'd pay for the two. You might not be experienced now, but when you get there, you'll have a killer rod. You can't make a bad choice given their generosity. For your type of fishing, I would steer away from the Superfine if you haven't already ruled it out.
Thanks! whats so good about the helios? I dont mean this in a snobby way.. I did read something about it being one of the lightest, or the lightest rod on the market. Id just feel afraid to fish with it because its so dadgum expensive... Does that make any sense? Could someone explain the differences between the helios and the access?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I fish only orvis rods (so I guess I'm a snob?) I have 4 helios rods and a superfine touch. You already know the stellar customer service orvis offers so why not stick with them (pun intended). Each of the rods they are offering you (at a great price btw) are covered by a 25 year guarantee, just in case you still own that jeep. ;-)
I wonder why Orvis only goes with 25 year warranty when other rod companies have lifetime warrantites? I wonder if it is because there rod technology changes more rapidly than other rod makers.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
Thanks! whats so good about the helios? I dont mean this in a snobby way.. I did read something about it being one of the lightest, or the lightest rod on the market. Id just feel afraid to fish with it because its so dadgum expensive... Does that make any sense? Could someone explain the differences between the helios and the access?
You're getting their best hardware and components along with their lightest weight rod. Do some digging on Google for reviews of the two. If you have an Orvis shop close by, go there and compare the two side by side. Cast both if you can. If not, then you'll need to make the decision based on other's reviews and your gut. Don't be afraid to fish it, that's what it is made for! Obviously they are going to take care of you given the way they offered you these upgrades so don't sweat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
I wonder why Orvis only goes with 25 year warranty when other rod companies have lifetime warrantites? I wonder if it is because there rod technology changes more rapidly than other rod makers.
I don't think their technology changes more than all of the others, but perhaps some. I think this has to do more with the fact that their experience shows that the majority of their customers turn rods over within that 25 year period. Also, They tend to offer replacements in some cases where as Sage tends to do repairs and or rebuild of some sections of their rods. Just my hunch.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

reidsisk,

I'm curious to know what you decided on. I have a 8 1/2' 5 wt. Helios, and it feels and casts like butter. I have never handled an Access, but I am sure it is a good rod. If I could pick up a Helios at that price, I certainly would get another. I cant afford one right now, but I handled a 9' 8 wt. this weekend at an Orvis store. The damn thing felt like a trout Rod. Maybe I can talk my wife in to one for Christmas. Hopfully they run a sale between now and then.

You don't have to be afraid to fish with such a nice rod. Orvis will totally replace it if you trash it.

Tony
Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
Orvis was the first rod company to offer a warranty of any kind and that was for 25 years.
They started it that way and have had no reason to change in the years since
It was a huge controversy at the time that forced all the other rod companies to offer warranties as well in order to compete
Not everyone was happy about it as you can imagine.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-17-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
reidsisk,

I'm curious to know what you decided on. I have a 8 1/2' 5 wt. Helios, and it feels and casts like butter. I have never handled an Access, but I am sure it is a good rod. If I could pick up a Helios at that price, I certainly would get another. I cant afford one right now, but I handled a 9' 8 wt. this weekend at an Orvis store. The damn thing felt like a trout Rod. Maybe I can talk my wife in to one for Christmas. Hopfully they run a sale between now and then.

You don't have to be afraid to fish with such a nice rod. Orvis will totally replace it if you trash it.

Tony
Hey Tony,

I ended up getting the Bass rod. I LOVE it. its definitely completely different from a regular fly rod casting-wise, but once i got used to it, i really started to like it. its a stinkin cannon! i can chuck poppers out to the entire length of the fly line. It sorta messes with my casting though, casting this rod requires a different movement for me for some reason, i think because its so short. The stiffness of the Bass really gives you a lot of leverage on the fish. it makes catching smaller fish a lot less fun though... but when you catch a big one, one big enough to completely bend the rod, its unreal...

I sent the Silver Label in to Orvis for repairs, and they fixed it and got it back out to me within a month. i havent gotten to use it yet, because the reel i used for my 7wt now holds the Sage Bass line.