The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Broke my rod... what to do?

Hey guys, well i was fishing the other day and my lure got stuck in some grass, and i, being stupid and all, decided to try to rip the lure out. and the rod went 'snap' My rod was an orvis silver label that i had bought used, to replace another rod that i had backed over with my jeep... I know i know.... im stupid... but this has seriously made me want to really really take care of my rods... i dont have any fly rods.. so i need a new one.

Ive been looking at the Sage Bass rod, and thats really looking good as far as strength, and i mostly do bass fishing, and i wanted to try fishing for carp, so i wanted something suited more for strong fish that desire to kick my butt...

I emailed Orvis's rod-repair service, and they replied, saying that they could repair my rod, or i could upgrade to another rod. and he said if i did that, i could buy a Helios for $325, an Access for $150, or a Superfine for $200 (I love orvis's customer service!!!!)

I was thinking about getting the sage bass, and then upgrading to an orvis access or superfine to have a more trout type rod. 5wt probably

So what do i do?!?! has anyone tried these rods? Oh, and if i should post this in a different forum or subforum, please let me know!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Broke my rod... what to do?

I bought a Redington RS4 8wt on a closeout for a backup rod and I have to admit that it has performed well in saltwater for Reds and big carp and bass. It is a fast action rod that I really like for poppers and bass bugs. You probably won't find this deal again, but I got it for $44 from Cabelas.

I have since bought a 5wt RS4 from Sierra Trading for $69. Their closeout was $114 and then reduced further by an additional 40% during a recent holiday. I also bought the Redington Surge Reel for $40 from Sierra Trading that came pre-spooled with 5wt WFF line! So a complete combo with line for a little more than $100.

These rods come with lifetime warranties, too. I broke my 8wt in the garage door and was sent a new one within a week!

I can be a bit of a flyrod snob and used to only fish Scott rods, but for the money I have been pretty happy with the Redington RS4s.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I fish only orvis rods (so I guess I'm a snob?) I have 4 helios rods and a superfine touch. You already know the stellar customer service orvis offers so why not stick with them (pun intended). Each of the rods they are offering you (at a great price btw) are covered by a 25 year guarantee, just in case you still own that jeep. ;-)
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Those are some pretty awesome upgrade prices for the Orvis rods. Im not going to lie, if you could afford it, go with the Helios upgrade. They are some sweet rods.

The Sage bass rods are also very nice. I own a first gen one and Im quite fond of it, even though I dont fish it nearly enough.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I have a Sage 2 piece 7'6" #5 that is amazing. Best rod I ever used. I previously had an #8 weight. The 5 weight is great for trout unless they are jumbo size.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

A Helios for $325? I would grab it.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Id definitely get a helios, but i just got into fly fishing a few months ago, and id be scared to use such an expensive rod... especially with my record of breaking rods....
Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Why not both? At the price of a repair (if they'll still sell you another one at those figure) ?????
Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I got caught up in the short bass rod hype when they were first released, but I have gravitated back towards a full length rod.

The shorter bass rod is great for close in fishing. With the correct line, it accurately throws a big popper wherever you want it within 50 feet. The stiff butt will help the fishermen yank a fish out of the weeds. If I was to own one of these, it would be a topwater boat rod.

If you are looking for a more versatile rod for bass, I would consider a full length rod. Depending on how you line it, it can be cast at a variety of distances and be configured for different depths.

Dennis
Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I got caught up in the short bass rod hype when they were first released, but I have gravitated back towards a full length rod.

The shorter bass rod is great for close in fishing. With the correct line, it accurately throws a big popper wherever you want it within 50 feet. The stiff butt will help the fishermen yank a fish out of the weeds. If I was to own one of these, it would be a topwater boat rod.

If you are looking for a more versatile rod for bass, I would consider a full length rod. Depending on how you line it, it can be cast at a variety of distances and be configured for different depths.

Dennis
Thank you! Ive read that the sage bass is really only worth it if you do the tournaments. I think im going to go with the Orvis Access.. thats a pretty good price, and from what ive read, its a pretty good rod. Id go with the Helios if i was a more experienced fly fisherman.