The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sage Bass rod

Once you get some line on it and half a chicken on the end of it to chuck at the bass you will love that rod. it loads weird when its empty but man you can really huck some big feather thru the air with it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

After trying this thing out, i really like it! Havent caught anything yet, but ive gotten a lot of strikes, i can cast about as far as i can cast a longer rod if i double haul, so this thing is awesome!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

While I dont own the Sage bass rod,I do have a couple of Redington Predators,both 7'10".I fish the 6wt a lot with a 7wt line and it does fine.It will throw 30 to 50 ft of line easily.One thing you dont want to do with bass bugs is false cast them.You pick them up and with 1 backcast send them back out.Thats what these short bass rods excell at and why they were made.They are great for close combat fishing for bass as well as saltwater fish but they are not an all around rod.If you dislike the rod I would take a look at the Clouser rods from TFO.They might be more user friendly for you and they get excellent reviews.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I've been really happy with using a BVK 7 wt for bass as well, though I haven't caught any trophy-size bass on it yet. I doubt that i would have any troubles though, especially if i went up to an 8 wt.

It can huck some serious flies, and get them out there far in a hurry. I tried throwing a Clouser series, but wasn't a huge fan. The guys at my local shop said they haven't really found an application where it wasn't bested by another TFO (usually the BVK) either... Felt broomy

Just MHO... Been really happy with my BVK, it was only my second non-Sage rod purchase so was a big step for me.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:30 AM

attila will become famous soon enough

Sage Sml.mouth Bass is great.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Sage Sml.mouth Bass is great.
Yeah i was thinking about getting that because some of the bass around here arent huge, but i had a chance to get the largemouth for a great price so i went for it. Im really loving this rod. unbelievably accurate..
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Hmmm. I guess I have had different findings on this issue.
I'm with you since I have been designing poppers for guys fishing FLW and B.A.S.S. events for years. I haven't asked, but I am sure they are not casting with spinning or baitcasting gear.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM

From using this thing, ive found that the 7'11" length is not just for the competition... it helps in many ways for bass fishing. it makes it a lot easier to pick up a popper and set it back down, accurately too, its incredible how accurate i can get with this thing! ive been able to cast the full length of the fly line with ease. Definitely not going to be my last Sage rod
Old 08-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
I'm with you since I have been designing poppers for guys fishing FLW and B.A.S.S. events for years. I haven't asked, but I am sure they are not casting with spinning or baitcasting gear.
FLW tournament rules have no restriction on rod length
Quote:
12. Permitted fishing methods

Fishing is defined as having a lure attached to a line and a rod and reel with the lure in the water.
All bass must be caught alive in a conventional sporting manner.
Only artificial lures may be used, with the exception of pork trailers and biodegradable soft baits.
Only ONE fishing rod may be used at a time.
Trolling as a method of fishing is strictly prohibited.
All bass caught while sight-fishing must be hooked inside the mouth and immediately shown to your co-angler or pro or an FLW Outdoors camera operator for verification.
BASS does not allow fly rods at all
Quote:
7. TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT:

Use of grippers for landing bass is prohibited during tournament competition. Only artificial lures and biodegradable artificial lures may be used. No “live bait” or “prepared bait” will be permitted during official practice and competition, with the exception of pork strips or rinds. Only ONE casting, spin casting or spinning rod (8 foot maximum length from butt of handle to rod tip) and reel may be used at any one time.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 08-20-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
Well i ended up with the Sage bass. I decided to go for it because Im getting my Silver label repaired. Got the sage in today, and i took it out back with some yarn. Definitely hard to cast with just yarn. Im having problems with the loops. i guess im just used to a 9 foot rod! this thing definitely sucks at false casting.. BUT you dont really need to false cast with this thing... this line sets it out there for you! Im about to go fish some, ill let you know how it does. right now, im 50/50 on whether i like it or not.. Will i just be able to get used to it eventually?
I don't think it's because you're used to a 9'er. I think it's because with a 330 gr. line, it's about an 11 or 12 wt. rod you're casting.