The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Sage Bass rod

Hello again.. I dont mean to be annoying but Im really struggling on making a decision on what rod to get.. Im really tempted to get the Sage Bass for some reason... can someone help me out? Is the shorter rod really a big hindrance? Will i be able to Double haul or false cast with this thing at all? the main reason im interested in this rod is because i fish bass.. and i live near lake Guntersville in Alabama, which is home to some pretty great bass fishing. But i do most of my fishing in small local ponds and this one river that runs right by our neighborhood. mostly crappie and smallmouth in there. but there are a lot of overhanging trees and tight casting spots, so i guess thats where a short rod can come in handy. for fishing the ponds, i fish from shore. would i be able to fish from shore with a 7' 11" rod?

id love to hear all the pros and cons of this rod if possible, and/or substitutes for a bass fly rod.

Thank you all!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Bass rod

The short rod is all about accuracy..... from a boat.
Casting from shore.?...Defiantly not an advantage.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The short rod is all about accuracy..... from a boat.
Casting from shore.?...Defiantly not an advantage.
Thats what i was thinking. Another option i was thinking about was the Echo Edge rod.

Oh, thumbs up on the Horace Kephart quote. one of my role models.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:19 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

The absolute best rod I have ever owned, touched, used is the Scott Rod designed by Harry Murray. I own the 7wt that I use mostly for smallmouth and steelhead. In my opinion, nothing comes close. It is not for everyone with a $725 tag, but it has been worth every cent.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I own the Sage Bass and like it a lot. If you do not plan on tournament fishing with it I would not get a shorter rod until you cast it and understand how it feels. The rod is 7'11" so that it can be used in pro bass tourney's that have had a long standing rule that no rods over 8' in length can be used.

The rod is a cannon and has great flex.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
. The rod is 7'11" so that it can be used in pro bass tourney's that have had a long standing rule that no rods over 8' in length can be used.
That's just a marketing technique that Sage used when they first introduced their bass rod and has no basis in truth as all bass tournaments that follow the 8' rod rule do not allow fly rods in the first place.
TeddyBallgame09 likes this.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I bank fish with mine all the time. Its an excellent rod and you should buy one and not feel bad about owning it. I just wish mine had the sweet new red reel seat.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's just a marketing technique that Sage used when they first introduced their bass rod and has no basis in truth as all bass tournaments that follow the 8' rod rule do not allow fly rods in the first place.
Hmmm. I guess I have had different findings on this issue.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Well i went ahead with the Echo Edge 84, its a bass/warmwater oriented rod that is 8' 4" so its still short, but not too short. I was going to go with an orvis Access, because of their update progam, i couldve gotten one for $150, but then i was told that i couldnt... and then today (after i bought the Echo Edge) i was told that i COULD update to the access.....

Well i was able to cancel my order on the Echo Edge. I decided to Buy a Sage Largemouth, since im getting a good deal on the Orvis (hopefully). so i will have the Sage Largemouth to test out and fool around with, and a quality full sized rod!

Last edited by reidsisk; 08-15-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Well i ended up with the Sage bass. I decided to go for it because Im getting my Silver label repaired. Got the sage in today, and i took it out back with some yarn. Definitely hard to cast with just yarn. Im having problems with the loops. i guess im just used to a 9 foot rod! this thing definitely sucks at false casting.. BUT you dont really need to false cast with this thing... this line sets it out there for you! Im about to go fish some, ill let you know how it does. right now, im 50/50 on whether i like it or not.. Will i just be able to get used to it eventually?