The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM

jhonsmith is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Muskie on the Fly

Your reel isn't big enough? While a musky are an ultra strong fish, they aren't neccessarily big runners. It's not a fish that will take you very deep into your backing. Most of their runs are very strong, but short. The only problem you will likely run into is the size of the wet sock you will be limited to casting with a 9 wt rod. Like Dan said, upgrade yourself to a 10 or 11 wt and you will be happier in the long run...!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM

jborn is on a distinguished road

I really appreciate the information in this post. I am getting ready to fish for Tiger Muskie and Northern Pike here in NM. Reports are the Tiger Muskie fishing at Bluewater lake has been great where as many as 10 fish/day on a fly rod is not unusual. In addition Eagle Nest Lake in Northern NM has pike that are considered unwanted and Fish and Game wants them removed. I bought an eight wt saltwater rig to go with a Galvan Standard 3.5 reel to campaign for these fish this spring. Since I normally fish with a 0wt or a 2wt this fishing should be quite different, in fact the 8wt rod looks like a javelin.

Thanks again for the great information.

jlb
baseman1 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

My two cents, listen to Dan,and the rest of the gang. Dont give up after your arm gets so sore you wanna quit. Match your flys to the food chain in your body of water your fishing. Remeber big fly fig fish, and Muskys dont sip #16 March Browns. Pump your local Musky club for info you can get it'll save you time in wasted areas. Muskys are an ambush predator and if you can figure out how to do figure eights on a 10' 10 wt.with the bite tippet out of the tipptop, I'm all ears. Good luck.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugslinger View Post
Muskys are an ambush predator and if you can figure out how to do figure eights on a 10' 10 wt.with the bite tippet out of the tip top, I'm all ears. Good luck.
I have done a lot of figure 8's with a 9' rod. I put a foot or so in the water and do the 8. No different than doing it with an 7 or 8 foot casting rod except you need to have a slightly less vertical orientation to your rod. I've never tried ot with a 10' rod but if I had a big stinking Musky follow a fly on my 15' Meiser I'd darn sure try it if it hadn't hit the fly when I ran ouf of line and shore to swing the tip over.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post

By the way Ted, where are you at in Minnesota? You make it up to Lake of the Woods ever?

Down in Winona (SE Minnesota). Sorry I missed your post at the time.

I don't usually get up that way. In fact, I've only been there a handful of times for work. Usually when that happens, I'm only there for an hour or two at the most.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's possible to drag a rod along and extend that for a few hours let me know and we can maybe catch a fish or two.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Thanks for all the tips. We have a spot that seems to be the big toothy hotspot. I caught a 4 footer last summer on a spinning rod using 30lb test and no bite leader. I got him to the shore and was moments from grabbin that tail when he bit the line and I lost him.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I will definitely do that. I appreciate the offer!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Banned

Just PM me or something before you get up here and I'll clear my schedule.