The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Muskie on the Fly (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/294097-muskie-fly.html)

baseman1 08-16-2012 04:00 PM

Muskie on the Fly

Hi folks,
I am looking at starting to fish Muskie next summer on a fly rod and wonder what size equipment I should be rocking. I currently have a 9wt Orvis. I know I will need a pretty heavy duty leader due to the teeth but should a 9wt rod work

Guest1 08-16-2012 05:03 PM

Re: Muskie on the Fly

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseman1 (Post 477632)
Hi folks,
I am looking at starting to fish Muskie next summer on a fly rod and wonder what size equipment I should be rocking. I currently have a 9wt Orvis. I know I will need a pretty heavy duty leader due to the teeth but should a 9wt rod work

A 9wt. will do it but you would like a 10 better. As for the leader, starting at the fly line; Perfection loop and cut the line off at 39" from the loop. Blood knot the next smaller line you plan to use and cut it off 39" from the blood knot. Tie a Bimini twist, I generally use 20 lb line. Cut the loop in the Bimini, and furl the lines loosely ( 1 twist every 3/4" or so) and tie a grannie knot in the end so it stays furled. Take a piece of nylon coated steel leader and bend a piece back about 2" long or a bit longer. Albright knot the bimini with the furled double line to the steel so the bimini ends up 4 or 5 inches from the albright knot. When you tighten this up, hold the bimini with the single line and the same with the steel and pull with the tag end of the bimini in your teeth. Figure out how much steel you want accounting for what knot you are going to use to put the fly on with and then cut from that point the rig at 39". As for the knot I use to attach the fly/snap/or split ring (any will work) I use a twist melt. Just put the fly or whatever, where you want it and then just like the name, twisst the leader tightly and melt the nylon with a lighter. I have never had one of these come loose ever. I looks like the weak spot but it is not. Given the amount of line you loose in knots, at least the way I do them, this should come out to 9' give or take an inch. Some people like a shorter, like 7 or 8 foot leader, but I have never liked nor seen the need for them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

partfish 09-03-2012 03:24 PM

Musky, I use 9 or 10 weight rod is fine. On leaders, some build there leaders
with butt section 52 lb, down to a 39lb, down to 17lb, you want some thing that gives so you don't break you fly line. Add a wire leader if you choose I don't use one most of the time because I am fishing for stripers when I catch my musky. Interesting thing is I caught 39 musky this year only one bite me off! I suggested if you looking for that 50 plus incher use a wire leader then. Also tie your own flies musky fly prices are worse then lures upwards of $15 -20 dollars for $3.98 worth of materials hooks being the expensive part. Good luck Wess

rem308 09-03-2012 07:02 PM

Yes, you can do it on the 9wt. My first 2 were on an 8wt. Remember to set the hook really well with these fish, I strip the excess line hard while pulling the rod back (not swinging the rod to the side like I do w/ a spin rod). Muskie have that armored, bony face that doesn't always allow for a good hook set. Surprisingly, every muskie I have ever caught has been hooked right in the side of the mouth like you want. Best of luck.

baseman1 11-27-2012 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone. The local fly shop has been trying to sell me on a 12w for these guys saying my clearwater reel isn't big enough.

ted4887 11-27-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseman1 (Post 501844)
Thanks everyone. The local fly shop has been trying to sell me on a 12w for these guys saying my clearwater reel isn't big enough.

Your reel isn't big enough? While a musky are an ultra strong fish, they aren't neccessarily big runners. It's not a fish that will take you very deep into your backing. Most of their runs are very strong, but short. The only problem you will likely run into is the size of the wet sock you will be limited to casting with a 9 wt rod. Like Dan said, upgrade yourself to a 10 or 11 wt and you will be happier in the long run.

delopez 11-27-2012 12:16 PM

I used to have that rod. The IV is plenty big enough for a Pike taper line of some kind. I would reccomend getting a better reel for the drag, though. That reel is kind of notchy. But, it will do just fine until you get another.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

When are you going to make this video, Dan!? :o

ted4887 11-27-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 477649)
As for the knot I use to attach the fly/snap/or split ring (any will work) I use a twist melt. Just put the fly or whatever, where you want it and then just like the name, twisst the leader tightly and melt the nylon with a lighter.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Dan - I've never seen this knot before. I googled it, but only came up with twist and melt wire. No videos as to see exactly how this is done. Any chance you could make one?

I feel all I would do is ruin a bunch of line by trying this.

Guest1 11-27-2012 02:25 PM

It's as easy as it sounds. Just twist the nylon coated steel for about an inch or inch and a half. Melt the nylon coating. Done. This is the old Larry Dahlberg way to do his fly attachment to the steel. I have used this knot for a really long time and as you may have seen in some of my photos, I get big Pike here. I used to fish Musky a lot when I lived near Lake Vermillion. There are big Musky in there. I have never had one of these knots come undone yet.

By the way Ted, where are you at in Minnesota? You make it up to Lake of the Woods ever?

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseman1 (Post 501844)

Don't listen to your fly shop. If you have a 10 wt. rod that's all you need. Just get a reel that is proper for the rod (10 wt.)but make sure you have a good smooth drag. Low startup pull. No jerky drag. I'm betting they have a 12 wt. reel they just can't move and think you are the way out of having it setting there. Now if you want to start fishing for them with a spey rod, then you may want to go get that 12 wt. reel. Just for the weight, not because you need it for the fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by delopez (Post 501865)
When are you going to make this video, Dan!? :o

I'm going to try and do it this week. I have a lot of requests for it so I guess I had better do it.

jamesrvrmusky 12-08-2012 07:41 PM

As far as rods go, I was using a Winston 9wt BIIMX, then switched to a Sage Bass II Peacock, and have found the shorter length much to my liking. Casting a very heavy line (often as not a sinking head), the extra leverage of a 9ft rod really worked on me. The shorter 7-11" Sage has plenty of backbone, and throws a 500 grain 26ft sinking head line very nicely. Plus, it is easier to get your rod in the water for those figure 8's. I found the cost very reasonable too, as it includes a perfectly balanced floating line.

I think the need for a fancy reel is overdone as well. Musky don't seem to run much.

HTH