The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: big carp

Anytime I see a carp caught on a fly rod I get excited, because I instantly understand the challenge and skill involved in hooking and landing one.

All anglers should feel that way when they see a carp! Though, truth be told, MOST of the people I speak to seem to appreciate the carp from at least a fighting sense, if not because they think they're desirable to target (they are!). I'd rather catch a large carp with my fly rod than a large brown, rainbow, or any other species.

Well done! I'm still waiting to catch my first -- having just read this thread for the first time I'm leaning more toward using my 6 weight and my spool of 8-12# test tippet vs. my 3 weight .

TB
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:39 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

yeah dont use a 3wt....ha.

all my good carp spots are about done for the year now I dont even see them from my perch on the dog walks anymore

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

@turbine
Stick with it, it took me a few months to figure out my first carp
But after that they start to come easier as one learns the correct presentation.
6wt-7wt, 0x-2x fluoro with a small lightweight crayfish pattern (#4-8 hook). 0x may be strong enough to break a rod if you try to fight back too much, but it will help when the fish tries to drag you through fallen limbs, rocks, piers, etc. A clear sink-tip line is my new favorite for carp; it allows for a very short stout leader while staying stealthy.
smaller than 2x seems to break easily with a hard charge (although maybe I'm just not that smooth!)

look up member 'mrp1', he has some great videos on how to know when a carp has taken your fly. Body language is everything with carp, as the eat is usually very subtle. You must cast close enough to be seen or intercepted without spooking the fish, and then the bait must 'flee' away from the carp. Crayfish going toward the carp usually freaks them out!

It pays to invest in nice hooks if you are tying your own. light, sharp, and strong are important.

Climate change? who knows, I like catching carp late into the fall!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM

mrbolo101 will become famous soon enough

Me too. Me too. Here's my first carp on the fly. I just started tying and caught it on a white deceiver of all things. I initially thought I had a decent striper since that's what I was targeting.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, tbblom and brucerducer like this.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

New spot and smaller Carp, but still the fix I needed before painting the Garage

Still liking the softhackle Glow Bug

tbblom likes this.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

hey Big Carp:

Congratulations on your play and landing of that huge fish.

That took skill, I know.

The fact that you took it on the Crawfish Pattern you tied yourself is
most commendable indeed.

It is an accomplishment worthy of respect.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Sadly, my season is over. Now I have to fish for winter steelhead! Glad some of you are still chasing carp!

Carp on the Fly
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 PM

flcracker83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to flcracker83

Awesome fish!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Very nice fish,well fought good job.