The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default "Trash" fish on bamboo

I am the temporary host of a 5wt 8' Fall River Fly Rods bamboo stick and have been out there trying to hook up with some bigger fish than the typical trout, blue gill, and bass.

First species that I went after was carp. The previous host snapped one of the tips on a smallie so I was really nervous about going after carp.

I went ahead with my plan anyways and nailed this guy while dodging thunderstorms

Click the image to open in full size.

The rod handled the fish perfectly and I no longer worried about snapping it. I went out the next day and landed this prehistoric gem

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm thinking that gar might be next
pete a likes this.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Trash" fish on bamboo

Both awesome fish! Who ever said bamboo was for dinky trout anyway. Nice fish ! Congrats!
brookfieldangler likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Both awesome fish! Who ever said bamboo was for dinky trout anyway. Nice fish ! Congrats!
Couple of guys here on the upper Rogue chase summer run steelhead with 5wt boos. Do quite nicely I might add.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Nice fish...what reel is that?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Hah. Love it!

Carp on the Fly
Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

That is an MFC Madison II reel.
cowpokey likes this.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice work! Congrats on the success, especially using cane.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:18 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

What is that second fish?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:11 PM

2nd fish is a bowfin

I've targeted them quite a bit with conventional gear, but never on the fly. This was a first for me.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
2nd fish is a bowfin

I've targeted them quite a bit with conventional gear, but never on the fly. This was a first for me.
I used to catch bowfin in the Eno River in NC. Interesting fish.