The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:20 AM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Leader/Tippet?

Hey guys,

ive had a question about leader and tippet sizes for bass and bream/crappie. would 0x spook them? ive been using 2x, but im about to run out, and i already have some 0x, so i was wondering if i could just use that. ive also got 5x and 6x that i use for trout, but i dont know if i want to use that for bass.

thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader/Tippet?

I don't normally worry too much about Bass and Panfish being spooked by tippet. The size/type of fly I'm using normally decides what tippet I use. I also dont bother using tippet material for them. The lightest I use is 8lb test mono. Poppers get 15lb test mono.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

What do you mean you dont bother using tippet for them? do you mean mono as in regular bait casting line?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidsisk View Post
What do you mean you dont bother using tippet for them? do you mean mono as in regular bait casting line?
Yes, regular mono will work just fine. Tippet material has it's advantages because it's a little stiffer and smaller diameter than equal strangth mono (this also makes it more expensive). For the fish your targeting it's not necessary. save your money and buy a $4 spool of 10lb test fishing line.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:00 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I'd agree -- though I'm fairly new to fly fishing, I've been making my own leaders for the warmwater species around here just using about 6' of 20# test line mono tied to a 3' of 10# test mono (tippet). I was using a 6# test tippet for bluegill, but I noticed that when I left my "bass leader" on my rod (with the 10# tippet) I was catching bluegill just the same. Now I just don't bother with the smaller stuff.

It's cheap to buy spools of 20 and 10# line -- I just use the off-brand stuff from the Dick's Store around here. Plus you only have to bother with a 2-piece leader.....very simple.

If I start trout fisihng, that's a whole different story

Oh, and I noticed that I can turn-over some of my larger bass flies easier with the 10# or even up to 15# if I feel like tying it on.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is to recycle old trout leaders. After my 9 foot leaders have been used and abused, I chop off two to four feet. I will end up with a heavy terminal end which works great for larger flies.

Dennis
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I make and use regular fishing line for leaders and tippet all the time. I make twisted leaders with small barrel swivels on the end, and then I tie on a lighter pound test for the tippet. For example, my 6wt leaders usually are twisted Cajun Red 12lb test, then I tie on either 10lb or less as a tippet. It all depends on the targeted species and rod weight.

Bottom line, yes, regular fishing line works just fine. I don't think I've actually ever used or even bought "fly fishing" leaders and tippet. Except furled leaders. Bass, gills, and crappie aren't too picky about leaders. I've even ran straight pieces of 10-12lb Stren as leaders before. Never any issues.