The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 PM

cfrandall is on a distinguished road
Question Smallmouth from a drift boat on the Niagara - what gear?

I'm going to be joining some friends over Labor Day weekend for some smallmouth fishing on the upper Niagara. They typically fish from a drift boat, using weighted crawdads to get down to 10-20 feet.

I'm thinking about bringing a fly rod and a modest setup. I don't mind buying a few new flies, tippet for this trip, but I can't afford a "proper" 8wt rod, etc.

Can I get by with a 6wt and 5x line? I'm used to Western river troutfishing, and have never done anything with smallmouth except use small poppers on a quarry lake. What else do I need to substitute in my usual trout rig? What size tippet? I have an old 5x sinking-tip line I'll sacrifice to the trip

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smallmouth from a drift boat on the Niagara - what gear?

Have you ever thrown a shooting head or an integrated shooting head?

I'm partial on the integrated shooting heads since I don't have to deal with a knot between the head and the running line.

Look at Scientific Angler's Mastery Streamer Express line in the 200 grain size. The line has a 30 foot extra fast sinking head that drops at 6" to 6.5" per second. That head is integrated into a thin intermediate sink rate running line.

Leaders are easy. Tie on a three to four foot leader material to the fly to the line's butt section.

The great thing is that you could use this as a streamer line for big western waters.

As for flies, have some crawdads like you mentioned. Also bring some Clouser Deep Diving Minnows.

Dennis
Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You are not going to get down deep enough with the rig that you have.

If you don't care to go to the expense of a whole new rig or even an integrated line as Dennis suggests you can make a usable shooting head from Cortland LC-13, Rio T-14, or some other lead core line. A head of around 15' would be about right on a 6wt. Make whipped loops on each end and attach it right to your floating fly line. Then add a short tippet

You could probably even try adding a shorter home made head on your 5wt sink tip
.....either way, it's going to be a bear to cast
Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I have fished for smallmouth out of a drift boat on a few occasions. You can get by just fine with a 6wt, unless you are into some really large ones. I would suggest leaders in the 4x-2x range. In my experience bass are not leader shy.

As for flies, i use sculpin patterns in olive, woolly buggers, leach type patterns, etc. Top water this time of year on the waters i fish is all poppers, small frog patterns, etc.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 PM

cfrandall is on a distinguished road

Thanks folks. I've borrowed a line with an intermediate sinking tip, about 12', and I'll try it with 3x leader and sculpins & buggers.

Worst case, they'll have a baitcaster rig in the boat for me

Edit: OK, what the hell. My local (Boulder, CO) shop has the Scientific Angler line that Dennis recommended on clearance. I'll pick one up and give it a proper try

Last edited by cfrandall; 08-31-2012 at 10:55 AM.