The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By rem308
  • 1 Post By freebird630
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 PM

rem308 is on a distinguished road
Default Labor Day Weekend On The Fly

With lots of family in and plenty of plans, I still made time to get out and throw some flies this weekend. The only way I could do so was to sneak out before daylight and fish the local river with the sun coming up. I had a mixture of good flies that have worked and would wade and fish. Each morning I came off the water by 9 AM because I knew the family would be getting up and our day would be starting. The fishing was still pretty good, and on Saturday my brother-in-law came along to see first hand. He has never fly-fished but I believe he's going to be getting into the sport now.
Friday morning I planned to throw muskie flies but the water temps were too warm so I fell back to smaller bass flies. The first I tied on was a large white/red diving fly that would pop right back up and stay top water --- immediately the fish were hitting it. The sun was coming up and the fish were blasting this little fly.
Click the image to open in full size.
Nothing big but I got 3 of these rock bass to hand. Several times they'd blast the fly but miss it, and I'd just let it stay floating and give another twitch and they'd hit it again.
After the sun came up above the mountains the bite seemed to shut off, so I figure I should have been throwing something deeper. I went ahead and called it a successful morning.
I went to a different area on Saturday morning with my brother-in-law and threw this smaller sunfish pattern early with some success:
I had a lot of carp cruising through at this area and I switched to a few different flies trying to get them to eat but they weren't interested.
Ended up switching to a Brown Wooly Bugger that the fish wanted, caught the best smallmouth of the weekend (I said they were all small!):
My brother-in-law took some nice photos:
One other pretty neat 'catch' was me seeing this little turtle slide between two rocks--first thought was "It is a turtle, obviously he is okay and not stuck." but when I returned from wading and he was still in the same spot, I worked to free him. He was wedged pretty good, I had to shove one rock and he slid out.
He was completely exhausted but after sitting him down for a while, he eventually became lifelike again and came out of it.

Was a great couple of trips out on the water throwing the fly, rushed or not, I still take every opportunity.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Labor Day Weekend On The Fly

Looks like a great way to sneak in some fishing, congrats! Great photos and some awesome looking fish.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 AM

partfish is on a distinguished road

Great Fly Fishing Near Chicago Your Kidding me?

Like your idea get out early before the family gets up I do the same. Here is
a birthday gift I got from wife. This License professional captain guides in all places sixty mile south of Chicago, IL. You mentioned musky the day I was there I was fly casting for small & large mouth bass mouth, striper, white & yellow bass, and the fresh water black drum man oh man what a fighing fish on a fly. I had two very large musky up to the boat taking a swipe at my fly and bolt when they saw the boat. This style of fishing prepares you or give you a sense of what saltwater fishing is all about catching black drum long runs stripping 50 yards of drag fun lots of fun! Check it all one of many video he shot on his own just a guy operating his own business living the dream. I will say this, when I was done fishing with this guy (great guy by the way super nice) I went from a so so caster to a good caster in 8 hours. Just some great video I thought I'd share enjoy good luck with the musky on a fly
Kankakee River Valley Guide Service Black Drum - YouTube
Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Labor Day Weekend On The Fly

Looks like you had a great time when you got to fish over the holiday weekend.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wonderful pictures and writeup, you've got my Kudos on the turtle rescue!
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;