The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM

jamesrvrmusky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Latest Muskie Fly

Wow, those last few are great. I'm going to tie a few like those as well. Are you tying on Jig hooks? The photo looks like the eye is 90 degrees from that of a "normal" streamer hook. If so, what hook are you using?

Jim
Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice ties! I've never fished for Muskie so I may be way off here, but I think I may be able to save you some weight by applying some saltwater experience here.

1. Even when there's big fish in the surf (36"-48"). I've never needed to use a hook bigger than a 2/0. A 5/0 hook is a very heavy piece of steel, maybe you can trim some weight there.
2. Flat wing patterns save a ton of weight and are very effective on Stripers and Blues. They don't look like much from the sides but have a big profile from the top and bottom (most predators strike from below). Good luck!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 AM

jamesrvrmusky is on a distinguished road

When I first started tying these things, I was looking for ways to cut the weight. I started using smaller hooks (2/0) and more synthetics to avoid all the casting weight. But I found that the addition of just a bit of bucktail caused the fly to sit on the surface, or hover just under it, and wind resistance made them almost impossible to cast. Now I use 2 big 6/0 hooks, AND add tungsten beads to the tygear wire I use for the trailing hook. I load up the bucktail to move lots of water, and the flies , while heavy, cast great, and sink at a reasonable rate. The weight offsets the wind resistance, allowing the fly to cut through the wind like a 400gr sink tip line. I have found (although I am always looking for new ideas) that the big bulky flies need some real weight to offset their wind resistance. The flatwing approach may help, as less bulk would mean less weight. But I think there is still a need to push a bunch of water, so its back to bulky flies.

All that work and preparation, and I find that the hard part is still finding the fish!

Jim
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrvrmusky View Post
When I first started tying these things, I was looking for ways to cut the weight. I started using smaller hooks (2/0) and more synthetics to avoid all the casting weight. But I found that the addition of just a bit of bucktail caused the fly to sit on the surface, or hover just under it, and wind resistance made them almost impossible to cast. Now I use 2 big 6/0 hooks, AND add tungsten beads to the tygear wire I use for the trailing hook. I load up the bucktail to move lots of water, and the flies , while heavy, cast great, and sink at a reasonable rate. The weight offsets the wind resistance, allowing the fly to cut through the wind like a 400gr sink tip line. I have found (although I am always looking for new ideas) that the big bulky flies need some real weight to offset their wind resistance. The flatwing approach may help, as less bulk would mean less weight. But I think there is still a need to push a bunch of water, so its back to bulky flies.

All that work and preparation, and I find that the hard part is still finding the fish!

Jim
That makes sense. In the surf when we want to move water it's usually topwater at night so we use spun deerhair. I wouldn't even attempt to try and make a spun deerhair fly sink
Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 AM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

That is a killer looking fly. I know that would be great for my bass this winter.
Any way you could do a SBS or recipe of that fly? I'm still a basic tyer.
Great tie.

"swirlchaser - That makes sense. In the surf when we want to move water it's usually topwater at night so we use spun deerhair. I wouldn't even attempt to try and make a spun deerhair fly sink"

Funny you said that, the other night I was comptiplating on just how to do that. I know it's counterintuitive, but would give me the size and action/commotion that I'm looking for.

David
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
That is a killer looking fly. I know that would be great for my bass this winter.
Great tie.

"swirlchaser - That makes sense. In the surf when we want to move water it's usually topwater at night so we use spun deerhair. I wouldn't even attempt to try and make a spun deerhair fly sink"

Funny you said that, the other night I was comptiplating on just how to do that. I know it's counterintuitive, but would give me the size and action/commotion that I'm looking for.

David
I've considered putting a lip on one like a crankbait but never got around to it...
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM

rem308 is on a distinguished road

Yep, I've found that I have more action on these large profile flies that push water...I had an absolute blast on my last fishing trip. I was throwing flies out of the back of the jon boat, good friend casting conventional tackle in the front. I moved a LOT of muskies that day, good follows, but none were eating. What was wild was passing struction and seeing nothing, I'd throw one of my large black/orange tandems (identical to the last pictures I posted) and would strip, strip, pause....strip, strip, pause....and the fish would show up. Sometimes they were just curious and sometimes they were aggressive, but it was like the large profile is what they wanted to see / feel. The smaller flies that glide so much easier (less resistance) weren't getting any love at all.
I often read about the lateral line and how tuned into vibrations from bait fish that these predatory fish are, which is why I make sure my flies are now pushing a lot of water.

Also, regarding weight -- I have a few w/ the barbell eyes, but just as many without --- that top foot or 2 in the water column is what these will mainly swim in, the weighted ones will go deeper pretty easily. Just depends on where the fish are that day.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
Great tie.
David
I can see what I can put together --- I will say I'm following 2 very popular patterns...the HangTime that Brad Bohen made famous (well actually plenty of big, mean fish made it famous!) and the TallyWhacker Tandem.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:54 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Those are fantastic looking flies. I am going to have to borrow those for my first go at pike next summer.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

I love the way that looks in the stained water. Very cool.