The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM

rem308 is on a distinguished road
Default My Latest Muskie Fly

I tied this fly this morning and am quite impressed with the body volume and 'water-pushing' ability. It is a chunk, tied on a 5/0 hook. I stuck to the layered green/white pattern with some flash.
Hopefully I will be able to throw it tomorrow morning and hopefully the next photo will have it hanging out of the face of a big toothy fish.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: My Latest Muskie Fly

Nice looking fly. Bet that I could do some damage on stripers with that.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It's bright. It's gaudy. It's flashy. If it has some good movement, it will attract a predator.

Dennis
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

that will move a lot of water, but it's gonna cast like a shuttlecock.

Hollow Fleyes cast like that. They lose velocity fast and that thing is like a hollow fleye on steroids.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM

coldwater55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
that will move a lot of water, but it's gonna cast like a shuttlecock.

Hollow Fleyes cast like that. They lose velocity fast and that thing is like a hollow fleye on steroids.
My thoughts exactly.I bet that is a bear to cast.Good looking fly though.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:27 AM

I went out this morning and tested the latest creation w/ my 10 wt on the river. I am very excited about fishing this fly.
It has the side-to-side action that I really like when stripping the line and running it a foot or so under the water.
We throw some tandem muskie flies that measure in up to 12" long and this casts easier than those. It is big and has a large profile in the water and does cast as expected, but I can certainly deal with that to get this in the face of the fish.
I came home and promptly tied up another color variant. The head is setting up right now, then I'll trim it up but here is the almost finished product:
baseman1 likes this.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Got to fish a little more yesterday and threw these flies the whole time. They have great swim movement, pulsate well in the water. Tried to get a pic or two of them. I'm going to a hotspot on Saturday and cannot wait to throw them more.
Joni, mcnerney, riverbilly and 2 others like this.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 PM

jamesrvrmusky is on a distinguished road

Great looking fly. Working along the same lines with some articulated flies for Musky. Two questions: what is the eye that you are using, and do you have a good source for bucktails suitable for Musky flies. So far, I'm taking mail order pot-luck from the online sources, and not real happy with the tails I'm getting.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking pattern, I can't wait until you land a big Musky with that fly!

Larry
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrvrmusky View Post
Great looking fly. Working along the same lines with some articulated flies for Musky. Two questions: what is the eye that you are using, and do you have a good source for bucktails suitable for Musky flies. So far, I'm taking mail order pot-luck from the online sources, and not real happy with the tails I'm getting.

Thanks,

Jim
Yes, I am only tying articulated flies now, really like the action, the larger profile, and a bit of the fail safe in case of short strikes.

I will get the exact size off the lead barbell eyes that I have when I get back to the bench.

As for supplies, I've had really good luck buying the bucktails and other supplies from this site (great customer service too):

Grizzly Saddle Hackle Patch #82 | Grizzly Saddle Hackle Patch fly tying saltwater hackle bass bug hackle | Featured Products-Home Page | Fly Fishing Gear - Accessories - Fly Tying Materials | The Fly Fishers Fly Shop

Also, I bought some of the Clear Cure Goo and eyes the other day, really like this stuff and it adds a lot to the flies. Finish w/ a little Sally Hansens and you won't be disappointed.

---------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

A few more pics from the tying bench. Tied up a few killer patterns yesterday evening, not sure when I'll be throwing them but can't wait.
And of course, my muskie hound checking out the progress:
len s and baseman1 like this.