The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 3 Post By wannafish
  • 2 Post By mirabelasunshine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default How to fish wet flies?

Ive been having problems catching fish on sub-surface flies, mainly because i dont know how to fish them.. and where to fish them, so i usually stick to poppers, because it doesnt really matter where you cast exactly.. the fish usually come to it. so how do i fish flies like wooly buggers, clousers, breaminators, crayfish, and others? What about carp flies?

Im having a hard time with this the most, so any info would be great. also, anyone have any recommendation for subsurface flies for bass, bream and carp?

Thanks!
Reid
Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How to fish wet flies?

Hi Reid,

I take it you are fishing for bass, in which case I would look to cast a sub surface fly like a Bugger at a suspected holding spot. By holding spot I mean an obvious cover / shelter like submerged logs etc. If you are fishing in rivers or creeks for bass, then the holding spot may more likely be current seams. The seam is that area of flow where different current speeds converge. This 'convergence' creates an area of slack water where fish like to hang out while resting or to watch for prey that is being carried past by that very current they seek shelter from.

Whenever you are fishing keep in mind that the species you are looking for are themselves predators and look for the most likely places for a predator to hide or rest while looking for food.
turbineblade likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are bass fishing, think about how you would be fishing a particular stretch of water with a bait caster and crank baits, plastic worms or whatever. Now try to emulate the lure pattern, color and action with a streamer.

Be patient, enjoy the day and good things will come your way.

Dave
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I sometimes fish smallmouth bass in the St. John river here; if you have a good current flow you can cast a wet fly or streamer down and across at a 45 degree angle and let the current swing the fly. If it's slow or stillwater just cast a woolly bugger etc. as Ard suggested to any likely looking spot and strip the line back in.
baseman1, turbineblade and delopez like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Thanks! ill give this a try!

How should i fish clousers? i have a whole lot of em, and im not sure how im supposed to fish them exactly
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

They will be pretty much the same business, if they are weighted types keep that in mind so you are not snagged to the bottom every cast.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Quote:
just cast a woolly bugger etc. as Ard suggested to any likely looking spot and strip the line back in.
What he said -- and vary the way you strip until you find what they want. I do pretty well on river smallmouths here in VT with woolly buggers, beadhead muddlers, stonefuly nymphs, and almost any little fluffy marabou anything, with a slow, erratic strip retrieve. I'll go tug-tug-tug with each tug being maybe two inches, then pause a little while ... then tug-tug ... pause ... tug ... pause ... tug tug tug tug tug ... PAUSE ... <tug> ... tug tug tug ...

Also, as it nears you, especially out of deeper water, slowly lift up. Accelerate the lift as the fly nears the surface. They'll often hit it just before it would have come into view.
wannafish and busbus like this.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirabelasunshine View Post
What he said -- and vary the way you strip until you find what they want. I do pretty well on river smallmouths here in VT with woolly buggers, beadhead muddlers, stonefuly nymphs, and almost any little fluffy marabou anything, with a slow, erratic strip retrieve. I'll go tug-tug-tug with each tug being maybe two inches, then pause a little while ... then tug-tug ... pause ... tug ... pause ... tug tug tug tug tug ... PAUSE ... <tug> ... tug tug tug ...

Also, as it nears you, especially out of deeper water, slowly lift up. Accelerate the lift as the fly nears the surface. They'll often hit it just before it would have come into view.
Just what i was looking for! thank you!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Good question! The term, "wet fly," first of all, names a specific style of fly used underwater and is usually a dry trout fly with softer hackle and swept back wings. This often imitates a drowned insect, or a hatching aquatic insect. As you used it, it would seem you are talking about all of the sub surface flies such as streamers, nymphs, and the "wet flies," of course. Some of the basic rules that apply to most fly fishing become super important here such as keeping your rod tip low, just off the water's surface as you bring that fly in as strikes are fast and very subtle at times. Having that tip down helps you to watch the tip/line which is your indicator for a strike. Secondly adjust your presentation to imitate the critter that the fish would most likely be eating in that area. A stream usually says Crayfish, Leeches, and Minnows but also nymphs of many of the insect families such as mayflies, caddis flies and stones.
Adjust your stripping pattern and speed to match those and you'll do well.

A sculpin sits on the bottom and then darts coming to rest back on the bottom, while a bluegill fry suspends a lot and swims slowly unless being chased. A stone fly nymph and a crayfish moves slowly unless disturbed and then the crayfish darts and heads for the bottom again. In short match the hatch, or what's the best forage as best you can in size, color and movement.

Carp and Bass are best fished as a sight fishing target. Sight fish bedded Bass, Sunfish, or feeding Carp and place a nice morsel in front of them, within a foot or two, lightly, then twitch it slightly and hold on. Wear background friendly clothes, keep your casting motions to a minimum, be stealthy, learn to cast very accurately and you'll quickly see why this is my favorite manner of fly fishing. Good luck and good fishing!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I sometimes fish smallmouth bass in the St. John river here; if you have a good current flow you can cast a wet fly or streamer down and across at a 45 degree angle and let the current swing the fly.
This is what I generally did when river fishing for smallmouth back in Michigan. I'd generally cast to the bank and then either let the current swing the fly below me, or strip it a touch here and there. If your fly need to get a bit deeper, then occasionally mend your line upstream, this will take some of the tension off the fly and let it sink. Don't forget to let your fly hang out for a second or two at the bottom of the swing, and feel free to strip the fly back up to you a bit. Sometimes they take the fly then.

The hits would be explosive. The smallies couldn't resist a black or olive wooly bugger