The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By riverbilly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default It's Been Tough

Summer on the river here is always tough, but this year for different reasons. Low water flow from the drought - even though we've had some rain lately - has resulted in super clear water and lots of vegetation. The fish are packed up in the grass where you can't really get a fly to. It's like going to the aquarium, visibility can be 10 foot or more. I've seen the largest examples of all our species swim by me, past me, under me. It's really cool to watch.

Another problem I've discovered has been that the fish come up to my fly, look at it and just swim off. I haven't been fooling them. This got me to thinking about and experimenting with fly materials. More realistic look and flash, better movement.

The Dub Bug -
Click the image to open in full size.
This one actually caught a 24" catfish on my 4wt. That was fun.

I'm likeing this ice dub, and so are little guys.

An all flash clouser - looked kind of goofy when I tied it but it's caught quite a few medium sized bass.

Feather Minnow -

Caught a 20"er

A zonker type of thing - I tied it thinking of bigger fish, but I guess the little ones get big by eating well.

This has been my favorite the past few weeks, the UV dub gives a realistic flash and the tail swings back and forth for good movement.

And it works -

A few more -

Seasons are begaining to change and size and numbers should be coming back to us. This weekend is a camping trip a little farther down river so we'll see what happens.

-- David
Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: It's Been Tough

Wow! that makes me want to get out there! i need to get a kayak..
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I tie a similar pattern to that white/silver crystal flash streamer. I use ceiling fan chain bed eyes & tie them reverse...so the rabbit strip remains on top. My white estaz bodied ones, I color the front red, then glue. I also tie these with silver estaz, gray ghost crystal flash, & flat silver type material @ the front. Been catching white bass and hybrid bass like there is no tomorrow.....and no my friends, I don't hang up. I'm fishing strong current in the Ohio River. If by chance I do hang up, I use Aberdeen light wire hooks.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Riverbilly,

Awesome pictures and really cool flies. Over the last 20 years I have tried tying flies several times. Some turn out ok, but nothing like yours.

Tony
Old 09-24-2012, 04:55 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
Riverbilly,

Awesome pictures and really cool flies. Over the last 20 years I have tried tying flies several times. Some turn out ok, but nothing like yours.

Tony
Thanks Tony. I've only been tying since last Christmas, just trying different patterns. These are the first ones I've set down and really though about what the fish want right now. The fish are the true judges of a fly. I'm just glad they liked these.

reidsisk - get one. The kayak gets you to places you can't otherwise fish, plus they're just plain fun to use.

Thanks guys.

David
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Love the pics. I really like the pics for the little bass. You just know a fish that aggressive is gonna be a big one some day.

Thanks,

Pete A.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Nice pictures and flies--white flashy and marabou is hard to beat.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/