The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Catfish Flies?

Quote:
Maybe its just the Southern part of me.
I know its the southern in me (im from GA) and the best way to eat a fish is fried =) especially one that can hop out of the grease he's so fresh =)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
I know its the southern in me (im from GA) and the best way to eat a fish is fried =) especially one that can hop out of the grease he's so fresh =)
Try frying some bass over a campfire... very painful.. but worth it!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I've been targeting cats for years now catching my first on the fly back in the early 60s or so. First I find Channels the easiest, Blues next and Flatheads hardest ranking with Bullheads due to their penchant for following the vibrations and scent of a minnow/bait. Flies that work fine are any streamer to match the hatch of bait fish or minnows in your area and ones that stand out for me are the black bugger, and the Muddlers/Spuddlers in a variety of shades and colors. A good crayfish imitation can be a killer if you are in a crayfish area.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 PM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
I've been targeting cats for years now catching my first on the fly back in the early 60s or so. First I find Channels the easiest, Blues next and Flatheads hardest ranking with Bullheads due to their penchant for following the vibrations and scent of a minnow/bait. Flies that work fine are any streamer to match the hatch of bait fish or minnows in your area and ones that stand out for me are the black bugger, and the Muddlers/Spuddlers in a variety of shades and colors. A good crayfish imitation can be a killer if you are in a crayfish area.
Sweet! ill give this a try! there are crayfish in the rivers, but im not sure if there are catfish in the rivers, i have no way of finding out either besides catching them.. so ill give it a try! ive tried crayfish flies in the lakes around here, but none of the fish seem interested.. maybe its just not natural for crayfish to be in warm lakes..
Old 09-29-2012, 12:34 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i caught my first cat this past spring. it was caught on a BH brown wooly bugger fished at a slow strip on the bottom of a slow moving pool.

casey

ARFE
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

This is something that I'm going to try also, as the Missouri river runs next to my city... It is filled with cats... I didn't get any hits on the black wooly bugger that I had, but I'm hoping that one of the rabbit hair leeches on the swing will work great... I'm sort of waiting on my spey rod, though... I would like to get a large swing on this and cover some serious water.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

On the Delaware river we always fish stone fly drys at night for channels, largest is a 12 lber.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Was fishing this past week for White Bass with a flashabou Clouser . When the Whites were blitzing bait on top it was nonstop action . A few times I let the Clouser sink before stripping . I was rewarded with two of my biggest channel cats ever on the fly an 8lber and a 10. What seems apparent to me is that channels act much like stripers under blitzing bluefish. They are opportunists and like the stripers look for the easy meal ( the baitfish that the schooling fish has chopped up for them) . This being said I would recommend any fly that is working on the surface feeders just fished deeper.
When blind casting I always did well on the Susky with a conehead black wooley bugger. It's like every other fishing situation it all depends on the circumstance as to what fly to present. To further prove this I met a fly guy on the Mongahelia who spoke of the cicada hatch a few years back. He said any big fly with the slightest resemblance to a cicada and you were hooking up with monster channels on top! That had to be very cool!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser